The word 'damage' is used as slang (primarily in the UK) when talking about a price, especially a high price, to be paid for something. Typically used in the form "What's the damage?", perhaps when buying a car, hi-fi, or meal in a restaurant.

Probably derived from the legal term of damage as reparations for wrongdoing or injury (see Webster definition below).

A book by Josephine Hart about a disturbing affair between a married man and a young woman who dates his son. Also made into a movie directed by Louis Malle and starring Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche.

The novel is written in first person, quite eloquently, in the voice of Dr. Stephen Fleming, a respected member of the British Parliament who develops a sudden attack of masochism when he meets the stoic but sexy Anna Barton at a party. Fleming, suddenly forgetting he has two children, a wife and numerous other successes in life, begins a brutal, all-consuming affair with the ostensibly cold Barton. An obsession he has never known before, Fleming disregards all warnings and near-brushes with revelation- and the ending is most certainly not a happy one.

A powerful novel. One that isn't very lengthy but manages to pack enough beauty and insight to be more than just a mediocre read. The movie is skillfully done. Irons, famous for his knack with seedy characters (see the latest celluloid version of "Lolita" and other past hit "Reversal of Fortune") does an equally great performance here, and Binoche, as always, makes a lasting, and far from damaging, impression.

what do you say
to the person
with the terrible childhood
with addiction and chaos
and suicide attempts and hospitals
and that was the parents
that they ran away from

and then numbed themselves
in addiction for years
multidrug and chaos
and now stable
working their 12 steps

and grieving
their lost years
and their behavior
unforgiven, it takes time
to build trust after
thirty years of damage

and grieving
the next generation
following the same
path and feeling helpless
to stop them
and guilt for their
contribution

it is not a matter
of a pill
of a diagnosis

the simplicity of stopping
of getting clean
joy and pride
yes

and then the hard work
of grieving
begins

Dam"age (?), n. [OF. damage, domage, F. dommage, fr. assumed LL. damnaticum, from L. damnum damage. See Damn.]

1.

Injury or harm to person, property, or reputation; an inflicted loss of value; detriment; hurt; mischief.

He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool cutteth off the feet and drinketh damage.
Prov. xxvi. 6.

Great errors and absurdities many commit for want of a friend to tell them of them, to the great damage both of their fame and fortune.
Bacon.

2. pl. Law

The estimated reparation in money for detriment or injury sustained; a compensation, recompense, or satisfaction to one party, for a wrong or injury actually done to him by another.

In common-law action, the jury are the proper judges of damages.

Consequential damage. See under Consequential. -- Exemplary damages Law, damages imposed by way of example to others. -- Nominal damages Law, those given for a violation of a right where no actual loss has accrued. -- Vindictive damages, those given specially for the punishment of the wrongdoer.

Syn. -- Mischief; injury; harm; hurt; detriment; evil; ill. See Mischief.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dam"age, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Damages (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Damaging (?).] [Cf. OF. damagier, domagier. See Damage, n.]

To occasion damage to the soundness, goodness, or value of; to hurt; to injure; to impair.

He . . . came up to the English admiral and gave him a broadside, with which he killed many of his men and damaged the ship.
Clarendon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dam"age (?), v. i.

To receive damage or harm; to be injured or impaired in soundness or value; as. some colors in oth damage in sunlight.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.