The name for that odd noise that a frog makes, commonly written as ribbit.

Also, to kick the bucket, go 6 feet under, be pushing up dasies, worm food, etc...

A function provided by the Perl module Carp.pm. Equivalent to the builtin function die, except the error message lists the calling block as the source of the exception.

As a transitive verb, croak means kill.

Youse guys go uptown tonight and croak that pigeon.
 

As an intransitive verb, croak means die.

Yeah, that pigeon croaked last night, but I don't know nothin' about it.

Croak (kr?k), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Croaked. (krkt); p. pr. & vb. n. Croaking.] [From the primitive of AS. cracettan to croak as a raven; akin to G. krchzen to croak, and to E. creak, crake.]

1.

To make a low, hoarse noise in the throat, as a frog, a raven, or a crow; hence, to make any hoarse, dismal sound.

Loud thunder to its bottom shook the bog, And the hoarse nation croaked. Pope.

2.

To complain; especially, to grumble; to forebode evil; to utter complaints or forebodings habitually.

Marat . . . croaks with reasonableness. Carlyle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Croak, v. t.

To utter in a low, hoarse voice; to announce by croaking; to forebode; as, to croak disaster.

The raven himself is hoarse, That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan. Shak.

Two ravens now began to croak Their nuptial song. Wordsworth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Croak, n.

The coarse, harsh sound uttered by a frog or a raven, or a like sound.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.