(Ice) hockey: The 6' radius semi-circle in front of the goal. The crease is a protected area for the goaltender. No player from the attacking team may enter the crease without the puck. If they do so and make contact with the goalie, they may receive a goaltender interference penalty.

Briefly, the NHL implemented a rule disallowing any goal scored when an attacking player entered the crease before a goal was scored. This led to endless video review and was unpopular with fans and players. The rule was discontinued after Brett Hull's Stanley Cup winning goal was scored in apparent violation of this rule. (See Buffalo sports teams are all cursed.)

The crease is painted blue beneath the ice, and is sometimes called the "blue ice" by 'hip' sportscasters. Thus, by association, the "white ice" is the area outside the crease, where adventurous goalies like Patrick Roy or Dominik Hasek may wander during play.

A crease is a small fold in something.

A crease in paper is the tiny fold left behind after the paper is folded and then unfolded. Origami folders often use creases to mark distances to measure further folds by.

A crease in fabric can be a wrinkle, or a more deliberate thing, a straight line along the fabric created by ironing so that it folds in a particular way to look neater. Also called pleats, as in a pleated skirt or pleated drapery.

Crease (krEs), n.

See Creese. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913


Crease, n. [Cf. LG. krus, G. krause, crispness, krausen, kräusen, to crisp, curl, lay on folds; or perh. of Celtic origin; cf. Armor. kriz a wrinkle, crease, kriza to wrinkle, fold, W. crych a wrinkle, crychu to rumple, ripple, crease.]

1.

A line or mark made by folding or doubling any pliable substance; hence, a similar mark, however produced.

2. (Cricket)

One of the lines serving to define the limits of the bowler and the striker.

Bowling crease (Cricket), a line extending three feet four inches on each side of the central strings at right angles to the line between the wickets. --
Return crease (Cricket), a short line at each end of the bowling crease and at right angles to it, extending toward the bowler. --
Popping crease (Cricket),, a line drawn in front of the wicket, four feet distant from it, parallel to the bowling crease and at least as long as the latter. J. H. Walsh (Encyc. of Rural Sports).

 

© Webster 1913


Crease, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Creased (kr?st); p. pr. & vb. n. Creasing.]

To make a crease or mark in, as by folding or doubling.

Creased, like dog's ears in a folio.
Gray.

 

© Webster 1913


Crease (?), n. (Lacrosse)

The combination of four lines forming a rectangle inclosing either goal, or the inclosed space itself, within which no attacking player is allowed unless the ball is there; -- called also goal crease.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.