Cougars will normally avoid contact with humans, however, if you are confronted by a cougar, there are certain things that you should do to avoid a sure death.

Do not approach cougars. They are soft and cuddly, until they attack and eat you alive. Do not run. Back away from the cougar slowly. Any sudden movements may trigger the cougar to attack. Do not turn your back to a cougar. Try to make yourself big. Pick up sticks or branches and wave them around.

In general, most animals will avoid you if you make enough noise. Many hikers attach bells to their backpack.

If you encounter a cougar, sometimes you can't run. You're pulled in by her maturity. She is in control of everything and keeps her cool. She's got something that no other woman has. You just can't put your finger on it.

She drives a Benz. She's got money. Maybe a husband, but she doesn't seem to care much right now. She wants you and nothing else right now. She knows she has the power to entangle you in her legs and she'll use it to get you there if she needs to.

You must resist the cougar as she is poisonous. She wants you as her toy for a while but as soon as you cross the threshold of your twenties, you'll be saying goodbye to your honey. She'll step on your heart as she walks past you to talk to the next strapping young lad.

Protect yourself now from the evils of a cougar, here's how.

Attacks on humans by cougars (also known as mountain lions and pumas) are becoming more frequent, and especially more publicized in the past few years. In the small town in Oregon where I live, cougar sightings and reports of cougars carrying off small pets and farm animals are very common. Some of this is due to a genuine increase in cougar population, and some of it is political...a response to the outlawing of hunting cougars with dogs a few years ago.

The truth is that cougars are becoming more plentiful in many parts of North America and they are becoming more acclimated to human presence in their territory. Attacks are still very rare, and fatal attacks are even rarer. I researched this pretty completely, and found reference to only 4 fatalities in the past ten years. It is still important, though to know what to do in case you ever come across a cougar in the wild.

Cougars look for easy prey. That means small, defenseless prey that is alone. Children and pets should be kept close to the group when hiking in cougar country. Hiking in groups helps in preventing cougar attacks. If you are confronted with a cougar, pay attention to his body language. If the cougar is looking away and moving away from you, stay still and don't move. Always try to look as big as you possibly can, by raising your hands over your head, by holding up sticks, by standing up straight. NEVER bend down or run. Cougars hunt running things, and turning and running triggers hunting instincts in the animals. At least two of the recent fatalities were runners moving through cougar territory. If the cougar is displaying stalking behavior, that is crouching or staring intently, stand firm, look big, maintain eye contact, yell, and bare your teeth. If you ever are attacked, fight back with everything you have. NEVER play dead. This does not work with cougars. Fight back, and you have a fairly good chance of surviving.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.