Doctors being anything from an actual physician to a dentist to an orthodontist even to a barber, all have somewhere written down a conversation template for them to have with every child they must converse with.

Usually it's because they don't see their patients on a frequent basis and thus, don't form any kind of bond/friendship with the child. Unfortunately, there is no transition template for the child as they enter their late teens and grow close to being an adult--the conversation just lulls occasionally, aware that the child has lost the great enthusiasm to talk with strangers about belly button lint.

Usually it goes something like this:

Doctor: "How are you today?"
Child: "Oh, just fine." OR if child is bold, will say "Not so good."
Doctor: "That's nice." OR "Oh what's wrong?"
Child: "*states problem*"
Doctor: "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."
..minutes later...
Doctor: "So, ready for school?" (I have heard this as early as late June)
Child: "Yes/no"
Doctor: if no: "Yeah I never was either."

if yes: "You must really like school!"

Child: "Perhaps."
Doctor: "What school are you going to?"
Child: *states school's name*
Doctor: "Oh I have a son/daughter/uncle twice removed/deceased animal/sister's daughter's husband's girlfriend's son who goes there/graduated there."
Child: "Hmm."
Doctor: "Do you/did you know them?"
Child: If aware of who the student is and doesn't like them: "Oh.. no."
If aware of who student is: "Yeah, we talked a few times."

If not aware of who student is: "No."

Doctor: "Hmm, they're quite popular." (even when they're not)
Child: "That's nice."
Doctor: "Well, I'm all done. See you again in 8 weeks/6 months/1 year"
Child: "Bye."

Most dentists, unlike doctors (most anyway), won't keep track of your age and will often initiate these conversations based on how old you appear. Unfortunately, it looks like I may have another five years of these conversations ahead of me. I'm doubting that doctors have these kinds of conversations with adults. They seem like they're initiated to calm down nervous children.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.