A constructed script, ie. a writing system that is intentionally designed rather than gradually evolved.

Conscripts are often made to fill the function as the writing system of a constructed language. A prime example of this is J. R. R. Tolkien's Tengwar used to write his Elvish languages.

But many conscripts are made to represent natural languages which have not yet been committed to writing, or which have existing writing system that are perceived to be flawed. Examples include Sequoyah's Chereokee syllabary, the Hangul writing system, used for Korean, Deseret, and Shavian, the latter two of which are proposed new writing systems for English.

It is speculated that Saint Cyril may have created the Cyrillic Alphabet all by himself. If he did, then it too would qualify as a conscript.

The word "conscript" is by analogy with "conlang", which is short for "constructed language".

Con"script (?), a. [L. conscriptus, p.p. of conscribere to write together, to enroll; con- + scribere to write. See Scribe.]

Enrolled; written; registered.

Conscript fathers Rom. Antiq., the senators of ancient Rome. When certain new senators were first enrolled with the "fathers" the body was called Patres et Conscripti; afterward all were called Patres conscripti.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"script, n.

One taken by lot, or compulsorily enrolled, to serve as a soldier or sailor.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*script" (?), v. t.

To enroll, by compulsion, for military service.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.