Late Sunday night is the quietest London gets: empty seats, empty platforms, an eerie feeling. People watchful, on guard. I walk alone on silent feet, not too quickly, through the quiet echoing subway. A face watches me in silence from a pile of blankets against the wall: a surprisingly clean face, young, with dark cropped hair. He's smiling. His eyes look very far away, vacantly smoking his cigarette. He makes eye contact as I pass, but does not ask for spare change.

I emerge in the mainline station, empty of the usual crowds. The shops are closed, the snack bar staff are packing up the stale pastries. Burger King, still open, is king of the station: the few knots of people scattered around clutch tokens of its presence. I hesitate, and then buy mini apple fritters with butterscotch sauce. My train, when it arrives, is almost empty but for a fiftyish couple who seem to be Danish. I sit where they can't see me, open an abandoned newspaper and greedily scarf the scalding fritters while reading. I lick sauce off my fingers. It tastes oddly chemical, but it's all right.

Next stop, a girl gets on, about fifteen or so, fair hair, a crumpled camel coat and a small suitcase, which she keeps beside her on the seat. Halfway to the next station the door at the end of the carriage opens. You can hear them coming. Rough voices, shouting, kicking seats as they pass. I freeze behind the paper and go into invisible mode.  Young, white but with ghetto Ali G voices, cheap street clothes, skanky little moustaches. They kick the bins out of their holders, sending a flutter of Burger King packaging across the floor. Then they turn round. I hide behind the paper, not looking at them.
"She's a bit old for you mate," says one.
"Nar wotcher mean, old? I'm sixteen," says the other, and they head my way again, giggling, pass me, to my utter relief, and sit down behind me by the fair-haired girl. They start up a conversation. I tune out as we pull into the next station: when I tune back in again I am amazed to hear that the girl, who has crisp clear BBC tones, is telling them about boarding school, and they're asking her questions. Where is it? What is it like? Are you allowed out? they ask, still sounding like Ali G. She answers them confidently and precisely. It's in Kent, in the country. It's good, she explains, because you make very close friends. Families send children there so they can get better grades.

She is utterly calm. She treats the boys I feared with level composure. She patiently explains that she's missed the train back to school, and has decided to go back home. She says a firm but pleasant goodbye to the boys and strides off collectedly and unhurriedly into the dark cold depths of Lewisham station. I can't help feeling admiration. Perhaps there's something to be said for a boarding school education..

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.