As the venerable Homer Simpson would say…

”Marge, it takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen.”

The following is just a scenario that might be played out when one or two compulsive liars hook up for an evening of drinks and debauchery. Fueled by alcohol and desire, there’s no telling what might cross their mind and escape their lips just to make a good impression on somebody else.

It usually starts out after you’ve had a drink or ten and you notice the latest object of your affection giving you the eye from the other end of the bar. After glancing back and forth at each other for what seems like hours, you finally muster up the courage to go talk. You wander over, cocktail in hand try to strike up a conversation. Maybe it goes something like this.

You: “Hi, my name is borgo, what’s yours?”

Quarry: “Oh, hi. My name is Quarry.”

Depending on you come off, you might sit down next to your prey and fall in to what is known as small talk. You know, innocent things like where you’re from, what you do for a living, what kind of music you like, and if, God forbid all else fails, the weather. After that, if the attraction is mutual, things might start to get a bit more personal. At this point, depending on how inebriated you and your quarry are, they might just want to get a glimpse of the “real you” before embarking onto the next level…

Quarry:So, do you like what you do?”

You: "Well yeah, it’s ok. See, money is not really important to me. I like the finer things in life like art, gazing at sunsets and holding hands in the park. I fill the void in my life by doing charity work and taking care of the homeless and other less fortunate types. Besides, I’ve inherited a rather large sum that should have me set for the rest of my life. I have this huge house not too far from here. It’s got a swimming pool and a hot tub.

Quarry:Wow, that’s cool! Were you ever married?

You:”No, I guess I’ve just been waiting for the right person to come along. Call me a romantic but I believe that my soul mate is out there just waiting to find me. When we finally do meet, we’ll get married and maybe have some kids. I love kids, don’t you?

Quarry: “Hey, what do you say we get of here and maybe get a bite to eat and get to know each other better. Maybe after that, I can see the house where you live…”

You: “That’d be great but I just ate in that new Mexican place before I got here and I’m not really all that hungry. Besides, they’re putting in a new roof on the house along with a tennis court. It’s kinda torn up but we can go there if you like or maybe we can just go back to your place?…”

It’s at this point where you’ve hit the crossroads. Will your quarry take the bait or will they see through your façade and call you out on it?

Quarry: “Uhm, okay. I just want you to know that I don’t do anything with people that I just met. I just would like to get to know them better.”

You:“Sex isn’t important. I just want to get to know you better too, that’s all…”

By now, you should get the picture and I’ll let the rest of the scenario play itself out in your own minds.

Compulsive lying by adults is usually done out of some deep sense of fear or a lack of self worth. The liar usually feels that they don’t measure up to those around them and in order to compensate for their shortcomings and lack of self esteem, they invent things about themselves. They feel an almost constant need to take liberties with the truth and to build themselves up in other people eyes. The lies that they tell often have a cascading effect and in order to cover themselves, one lie is often replaced by another until nobody can keep track of them anymore.

It’s kinda sad really because most of them time, the truth will eventually come out and all of that other stuff could have been avoided.

But don't take my word for it...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.