An easy way to remember how to keep warm when out trekking, hiking or camping.

  • C: Keep yourself and your clothing Clean. Clean clothing allows healthy airflow and prevents overheating while clean skin prevents sweating.
  • O: Avoid Overheating. If you overheat, you will sweat, which may freeze, and also makes your clothes dirty, blocking airflow.
  • L: Keep your clothing Loose. Loose clothing both prevents sweating and also gives you warm layers of insulating air.
  • D: Keep yourself and your clothing Dry. Wet clothing can freeze quickly, and the insulating properties of many fabrics are very poor while wet.

This was poorly remembered from the SAS Survival Handbook, if anyone has a copy and can /msg me any mistakes/omissions, I'll update the node

I've been a fan of Cold for many years now. They manage to encompase dispare and depression with melody and hard riffs. They have helped me through some tough times, and I would recommend them to anyone who likes self-deprecating hard metal.

They first crawled out of Jacksonville's streets and into the public eye in 1998 when their debut self titled album hit the stores. Their blend of down tuned guitars, crunching riffs and soul rendering lyrics soon gained them a large following, and now having toured with bands including Soulfly, The Urge, and Gravity Kills their fan base is growing ever more.

Cold is:

The band first formed in Atlanta in their twenty first year, calling themselves Grundig (without Terry - Scooter played guitar instead), they toured the area for over three years before Scooter Ward moved back to Jacksonville in 1996 after disagreements with his band mates over the direction that the music was taking. Soon after the move he met Limp Bizkits Fred Durst (who happened to be a Grundig fan). Durst liked the songs that Scooter was trying out and offered his services and his own home studio to make a demo tape. This tape had the tracks "Please" and "Ugly" - "Ugly" made it onto the first album. Durst then let Ross Robinson hear the tape, and Ross offered to produce a full length album.

The name changed from Grundig because the German company wouldn't allow them permission to use the name. When they told this news to Limp Bizkit's guitarist Wes Borland, he said "Man, that's cold". It all came from there.

At the same time Cold signed a six album contract with Flip records (Mr. Durst's own label), and the result was an album so shocking in it's emotion that it bowled over people who heard it, the album moved Kerrang to award it a full 5K's and to say this

There's nothing better than slapping a debut album on the deck and finding yourself swamped by an excitingly alien new sound...Cold songs are evil. They crawl under your scalp and build a nest. Before you know it you're over-run...Cold is the first brilliant album of the year."

Their second album - Thirteen Ways To Bleed On Stage was released in 2000, also on Flip. It shows the same writing style, but with more perspective and maturity as well. It has also gone on to sell very well, both in Europe and in the States. The album was produced by Cold, Fred Durst, Adam Kasper and Chris Vrenna. It was recorded at Studio X in Seattle, Amethyst Digital in Los Angeles, and Cactus Recording in Los Angeles.

Cold have released a new album (2003) called Year of the Spider. Production was done by Howard Benson and was recorded by Mike Plotnikoff. Initial listening indicates it will be as good as their previous work.

Track listing for Cold:

  1. Go Away
  2. Give
  3. Ugly
  4. Everyone Dies
  5. Strip Her Down
  6. Insane
  7. Goodbye Cruel World
  8. Serial Killer
  9. Superstar
  10. The Switch
  11. Makes Her Sick


Track listing for Thirteen Ways To Bleed On Stage:
  1. Just Got Wicked
  2. She Said
  3. No One
  4. End Of The World
  5. Confession
  6. It's All Good
  7. Send In The Clowns
  8. Same Drug
  9. Anti-Love Song
  10. Witch
  11. Sick Of Man
  12. Outerspace
  13. Bleed

Track listing for Year of the Spider:

  1. Remedy
  2. Suffocate
  3. Cure My Tragedy (A letter to God)
  4. Stupid Girl
  5. Dont Belong
  6. Wasted Years
  7. Whatever you became
  8. Sad Happy
  9. Rain Song
  10. The Day Seattle Died
  11. Change the World
  12. Black Sunday
  13. Kill the Music Industry

There are b-sides and other songs released by cold, however the only one I currently know about is 'Gone Away' which was noded by the ever helpful AnBolb. feel free to /msg me if you know others I don't have, I will include them here and try and find the tracks, I will also be very much in your debt.

All three albums have a harsh edge and crushing guitars. They take the idea of depressive rock to a level that is rarely seen. Scooters vocals manage to convey the thoughts and pain of a man who is truly depressed, and as such the lyrics are identified with by many unhappy fans. Many of the songs deal with general depression, failed relationships and self hating. They also show his anger at the world and the feeling of isolation that haunts him. The music the band produce match this style of writing perfectly, dark, moody and heavy; but often slow and well layered at the same time. The second album has more depth, and the lyrics a more subtle meaning, many of the songs are clearly more personal to Scooter, but still have general meaning to the listener. The third album (produced by Weezers singer) has a more mature tone, and shows the band evolving and improving in their musical style.

Cold is a very general-purpose system for writing servers of any kind, especially MUDs. It evolved from CoolMUD and LambdaMOO. It is run-time mutable, meaning you can change the code as the server runs, allowing for continuous uptime even as code is added. It uses a powerful, Object-Oriented language called ColdC, influenced by C and MOOcode, but other languages could also be created for it.

Basically it's a server system, with a bytecode-compiled scripting language. Objects, methods, variables etc. are stored persistently, meaning the state of the server's code, even tasks in the middle of execution, are immune to reboots (you can set the interval at which it saves). Everything is stored in a database file, containing the bytecodes and other data. Though it allows for standard file manipulation as well, it's convenient because of the persistence and the ability to have your whole project, code and all, contained in one file.

Since it's a server system, and meant for networked interaction, scripts are generally edited by commands sent within a connection to the server. This works well for MUDs, where users may want to write scripts defining interactions with MUD objects from the MUD itself, or with HTTP and forms.

"Cores," pre-built databases with basic functionality that define the method which is used to load new programs and data, are used to start off with for a particular type of project. For example, a large and sophisticated but woefully undocumented core for making MUDs called ColdCore is provided, which also has objects for basic web and SMTP interfaces.

The very popular MUD "The Eternal City" uses Cold as its server engine.

See http://web.cold.org/ for more information, downloads, and a list of servers which utilize Cold, with links.

A similar system is Mica, at http://darksleep.com/mica/

Cold (kOld), a. [Compar. Colder (-ər); superl. Coldest.] [OE. cold, cald, AS. cald, ceald; akin to OS. kald, D. koud, G. kalt, Icel. kaldr, Dan. kold, Sw. kall, Goth. kalds, L. gelu frost, gelare to freeze. Orig. p. p. of AS. calan to be cold, Icel. kala to freeze. Cf. Cool, a., Chill, n.]

1.

Deprived of heat, or having a low temperature; not warm or hot; gelid; frigid. "The snowy top of cold Olympis." Milton.

2.

Lacking the sensation of warmth; suffering from the absence of heat; chilly; shivering; as, to be cold.

3.

Not pungent or acrid. "Cold plants." Bacon

4.

Wanting in ardor, intensity, warmth, zeal, or passion; spiritless; unconcerned; reserved.

A cold and unconcerned spectator.
T. Burnet.

No cold relation is a zealous citizen.
Burke.

5.

Unwelcome; disagreeable; unsatisfactory. "Cold news for me." "Cold comfort." Shak.

6.

Wanting in power to excite; dull; uninteresting.

What a deal of cold business doth a man misspend the better part of life in!
B. Jonson.

The jest grows cold . . . when in comes on in a second scene.
Addison.

7.

Affecting the sense of smell (as of hunting dogs) but feebly; having lost its odor; as, a cold scent.

8.

Not sensitive; not acute.

Smell this business with a sense as cold
As is a dead man's nose.
Shak.

9.

Distant; -- said, in the game of hunting for some object, of a seeker remote from the thing concealed.

10. (Paint.)

Having a bluish effect. Cf. Warm, 8.

Cold abscess. See under Abscess. --
Cold blast See under Blast, n., 2. --
Cold blood. See under Blood, n., 8. --
Cold chill, an ague fit. Wright. --
Cold chisel, a chisel of peculiar strength and hardness, for cutting cold metal. Weale. --
Cold cream. See under Cream. --
Cold slaw. See Cole slaw. --
In cold blood, without excitement or passion; deliberately.

He was slain in cold blood after the fight was over.
Sir W. Scott.

To give one the cold shoulder, to treat one with neglect.

Syn. -- Gelid; bleak; frigid; chill; indifferent; unconcerned; passionless; reserved; unfeeling; stoical.

 

© Webster 1913


Cold, n.

1.

The relative absence of heat or warmth.

2.

The sensation produced by the escape of heat; chilliness or chillness.

When she saw her lord prepared to part,
A deadly cold ran shivering to her heart.
Dryden.

3. (Med.)

A morbid state of the animal system produced by exposure to cold or dampness; a catarrh.

Cold sore (Med.), a vesicular eruption appearing about the mouth as the result of a cold, or in the course of any disease attended with fever. --
To leave one out in the cold, to overlook or neglect him. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Cold, v. i.

To become cold. [Obs.] Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.