, he imagines Hell
as a funnel
of nine descending "circles", or regions, each more tortuous
than the last, and populated by the damned soul
s of progressively worse sinner
In order, from the least tortuous
- Limbo, realm of the virtuous pagans.
- Realm of those who have betrayed reason to their (carnal) passions.
- Realm of the gluttons, tormented by Cerberus.
- The Hoarders and Wasters, whose spirit was consumed in immoderate attention to wealth.
- The march of Styx, realm of the Wrathful and the Sullen, each tormented by their own fixations.
Lower Hell, in the city of Dis:
- Heretics, specifically those who deny the doctrine of immortality.
- the Violent. Murderers, suicides, blasphemers, and sodomites.
- Malebolge. Realm of the fraudulent and malicious.
- Cocytus. Realm of traitors - to kin, country, host/guest, or ruler. Satan falls into the lattermost category of treason, the ultimate traitor.