The easiest cake recipe in the world, and one I grew up with. I was amazed, when I arrived in New Zealand that these seemed to be unknown here, possibly because of the ubiquitous Chocolate crackles. Chocolate crispies are light delights, perfect for children's parties and make a good lunch-box treat, as they are, actually, quite low in fat and sugar when made frugally. Adults are never slow to wolf them down either.

This recipe makes loads and loads and loads. Store in an airtight container. They don't last long with us, but that's because they get eaten quickly.

Ingredients:

  • 200g Cooking chocolate - either a bar broken up or those melting button things. I use dark, but milk is fine if you like your chocolate hit a little sweeter)
  • 300g Rice Krispies (AKA rice bubbles, rice snaps etc - those things that go "Snap, Crackle, Pop" when you pour the milk on)

And that's it, for the basic recipe.

Method:

  1. Melt the chocolate in a very large bowl (I do it in the microwave, heating on high for 90 seconds then stirring, and then in 30 second bursts stirring between until fully melted, but you can do it in a over a pan of hot water.)
  2. Stir in the rice crispies slowly, incorporating until they are completely coated in chocolate - you will be able to coat about 25% more than you think you can - these cakes are better with a higher crispie/chocolate proportion as they are lighter.
  3. Spoon into paper cases (about one heaped dessert spoon per case) and leave to set - this will take about 5 minutes.
  4. Devour


If I am serving these at a kid's party I get someone to follow me along as I spoon out the mix, sprinkling with hundreds and thousands, or to fancy them up a bit - though they really don't need it - you can mix in dried fruit or nuts (Cranberries or diced apricots are both divine). For a particularly grown up spin, coarsely grind coffee beans and mix them in at the same time as the rice crispies.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.