Here's a recipe for Chocolate Chip Pancakes that I've made quite a few times, and it yields great pancakes with just the right sweetness to them. The recipe is originally taken from "Morning Glories" by Donna Leahy (directions rewritten, of course, to avoid copyright violations). (A great breakfast/brunch cookbook for those interested in slightly more interesting recipes. The Gingerbread Cakes with Apple Raisin Syrup also from the book, are very delicious and a nice break from more normal pancakes.)

1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 C milk
1 large egg
1 tbsp corn oil (regular vegetable oil will serve)
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

Add all of the dry ingredients - flour, sugar (white and brown), baking powder, baking soda, and salt - to a large bowl, and combine. In another bowl, mix the milk and egg together well. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir. Slowly stir in the corn oil, and the chocolate chips.

Lightly grease a skillet or griddle, and put on medium-high heat. Ladle the batter onto the surface, trying to form cakes about 3-4 inches in diameter. Cook until the edges brown slightly, and bubbles are forming in the batter, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook for about 1-2 more minutes.

Recipe makes about 12 cakes, enough to serve 4-6.

If you don't have chocolate chips in the place, you can add some cinnamon, about 1/4-1/2 tsp, and make these cakes without any other changes to the recipe. The cakes are sweeter than regular pancakes, but not overly sweet, and are still very, very good.


Go To: Cookery : Recipes, alphabetical : A to E
Go To: Cookery : Recipes, categorised : Main Dishes : Breakfast Dishes