Chlorpromazine is today considered a very dirty and borderline unethical drug, except where no other treatments are effective. In addition to quieting the psychological symptoms of schizophrenia, such as disordered thought and speech, it causes severe poverty of thought and affect, as well as physical impairment. This is because it causes a universal depletion of dopamine throughout the brain, in both the mesolimbic areas relating to emotion and reward and the nigrostriatal areas that allow initiation of action. Because chlorpromazine is more effective on the positive symptoms of schizophrenia (inappropriate activity, hyperkinesia, etc) than the negative ones (lack of emotion, catatonia), it has been suggested that it and other drugs of the family called "typical antipsychotics" actually work in no small part by knocking the subject on her ass.

Newer atypical antipsychotic drugs are better at releiving the symptoms without making the subject into a vegetable.

This prescription drug (sold as Thorazine) is used to treat psychosis (possibly by blocking the action of dopamine) and mania; it is rarely used to treat nausea and vomiting. This drug can have dangerous interactions with a wide range of other medications, and it can cause a wide range of side effects. It can cause withdrawal symptoms if the patient suddenly stops taking the drug.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.