This is a fairly low-fat dish that my whole family enjoys. It makes enough to have some for the next day's lunch (or breakfast, even). Leftover holiday turkey goes well in this too. It easily doubles.

What you need

  • 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts - preferably grilled with some hot or Tex-Mex rub so spicy you almost cry. Slice, chop or shred these in to little pieces.
  • 10 oz can of cream of chicken soup
  • 4 oz can of green chiles
  • One small Spanish or red onion - finely chopped
  • Two (or more!) garlic cloves - also finely chopped (I just put both the onion and the garlic in a food processor and blast away.)
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup cheese (shredded cheddar or mexi-blend)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 5 or 6 10-inch flour tortillas or more, depending on your generosity

What you'll do

  1. Heat your oven to 350°.
  2. Sauté the garlic and onion in the butter for about three minutes over medium high heat. Don't let the garlic get too brown or it will lend a bitter taste to the dish regardless of what else you put in it.
  3. Add the chiles. Mix well for another three minutes.
  4. Pour in the soup, yogurt and half the cheese - mix it all up real well.
  5. Reserve 3/4 cup of the mixture. Set it aside and remember where you put it.
  6. Add the chicken to the pot. Mix well until the chicken is heated through. Remove from heat.
  7. Optional: Warm the tortillas one at a time in the microwave, about 10 seconds each. They can be rolled cold, but be careful not to tear them.
  8. Take about a 1/4 cup of the mixture and place it in the middle of the tortilla. Fold in the sides about a quarter of the way each, and then roll it from top to bottom. Place it in your favorite baking dish. Keep going until you're done. (Yummy treat: Warm up some extra tortillas, roll them up, and wipe the pot with them - mm-mmmm good!!)
  9. Remember where you put the reserved sauce? Go get it and add 1/4 of skim milk to it. (Hint: In order to minimize things to clean, I normally keep the sauce in a glass measuring cup, then just top it off with the milk and stir very carefully.)
  10. Pour this over the lined up and expectant tortillas. Sprinkle with some more cheese on top. Place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is all melted and the tortillas are just turning darker.

If you seasoned the chicken correctly, the cream of chicken soup, yogurt, and sauce will balance it out nicely. You'll have heat without having to cry twice.

Serve with guacamole, salsa, sour cream (pretty much negating the benefit of the low-fat ingredients), and beer.

Enjoy!!!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.