From: The Thorough Good Cook

Soups: 6. Chicken Broth

Is also to be prepared precisely in the same way as the veal, but remember to skin the chicken before it is used. To any of the broths thus made you may add' vermicelli, macaroni, rice, sago, etc., first boiled in water, then put into the broth, and made tender by setting the stew-pan in a hot-water bath.

The best method I've found for making chicken broth thus far is to use a raw chicken bone after most of the meat has been cut off.

Usually I use half of a chicken. First cut the meat from the bone in whatever way you prefer. Leave as much of the fat on the bone, because we all know that the fat is where the flavor is.

Put the bones in a pot and cover with water. Use as little water as possible so that you get a good flavorful broth. At this point add a few herbs like rosemary, but this isn't necessary.

Now bring the water to a boil, then turn down the heat to let the broth simmer.

Let the broth simmer for an hour or so. I usually keep cooking the bones until the meat is flaking from the bones. Let the broth cool, then chill it in the refrigerator.

After it cools, the fat from the chicken should rise to the top and slightly solidify. I usually skim this off of the top to save for making dumplings.

Thats it! You've got yourself a chicken broth to use in whatever recipe that you wish.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.