A collection of chemistry-related nodes on Everything.

Fields of study:


Concepts:

Elements:

For individual elements, see Periodic Table of the Elements to select by symbol/atomic number or Chemical Elements to select by name.

Specific chemicals (see also Acid Naming, Compound Naming):

I have a big list of these that I'll be making a separate metanode from, sometime.

Miscellaneous

So for awhile I conducted experiments
and I was amazed by the things I learned,
from the fine, fine girl with nothing but good intentions
and a bad tendency to get burned

song-Semisonic

A light little pop song, released in 2000.
It is the long awaited sequel to that 80's classic-She blinded me with Science-Thomas Dolby

We need more songs about the Basic Sciences and less about dogs who are let out, if you ask me.

Oh, all about chemistry,
won't you show me everything you've learned
I'll memorize everything you do to me
So I can teach it when it comes my turn

A Civilization advance.
The basis for modern chemistry was laid by practitioners of the pseudo-science alchemy. The primary goal of alchemy was to find a way to turn base metals into gold and silver, usually through the agency of elixers of a Philosopher's Stone. Alchemy periodically surfaced and degenerated until the science of chemistry proved itself with medically and economically useful applications.
Prerequisites: Medicine and University.
Allows for: Explosives and Refining.

Chem"is*try (?), n. [From Chemist. See Alchemy.]

1.

That branch of science which treats of the composition of substances, and of the changes which they undergo in consequence of alterations in the constitution of the molecules, which depend upon variations of the number, kind, or mode of arrangement, of the constituent atoms. These atoms are not assumed to be indivisible, but merely the finest grade of subdivision hitherto attained. Chemistry deals with the changes in the composition and constitution of molecules. See Atom, Molecule.

Historically, chemistry is an outgrowth of alchemy (or alchemistry), with which it was anciently identified.

2.

An application of chemical theory and method to the consideration of some particular subject; as, the chemistry of iron; the chemistry of indigo.

3.

A treatise on chemistry.

This word and its derivatives were formerly written with y, and sometimes with i, instead of e, in the first syllable, chymistry, chymist, chymical, etc., or chimistry, chimist, chimical, etc.; and the pronunciation was conformed to the orthography.

Inorganic chemistry, that which treats of inorganic or mineral substances. -- Organic chemistry, that which treats of the substances which from the structure of organized beings and their products, whether animal or vegetable; -- called also chemistry of the carbon compounds. There is no fundamental difference between organic and inorganic chemistry. -- Physiological chemistry, the chemistry of the organs and tissues of the body, and of the various physiological processes incident to life. -- Practical chemistry, or Applied chemistry, that which treats of the modes of manufacturing the products of chemistry that are useful in the arts, of their applications to economical purposes, and of the conditions essential to their best use. -- Pure chemistry, the consideration of the facts and theories of chemistry in their purely scientific relations, without necessary reference to their practical applications or mere utility.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.