generally a longstemmed glass with a somewhat narrow but deep bowl. the term 'chalice' almost always refers to a *metal* glass (although it can in some cases be wood. Chalice is a more 'old fashioned' item, really, although in function and appearance they are basically equivalent to a metal wine glass of today.

the "cups" suite in a tarot deck are named for and designed from chalices, as well.

A chalice is a cup or goblet. As you may imagine, the cup is aligned with the Goddess or female aspect and the element of Water (the west). Sometimes the cup is just used to hold water, and sometimes it holds blessed wine or whatever the person wants to drink symbolically. You can put things, usually liquids but not always, into a chalice and cleanse them. You can also give ceremonial offerings to the Goddess or whatever you want in a cup, by either leaving it out or dumping it into the earth. A chalice can be just a pretty glass cup that you pick up at Wal-Mart, or a jewel-encrusted silver cup handed down through generations for the purpose; it doesn't matter as long as it is significant to you, and not used for drinking as a usual glass is.

Magickal tools

Chal"ice (?), n. [OR. chalis, calice, OF. chalice, calice, F. calice, fr. L. calix, akin to Gr. and E. helmet. Cf. Calice, Calyx.]

A cup or bowl; especially, the cup used in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.