A ceilidh, pronounced kay le, is a Scottish or Irish social event which involves dancing, music, competitions, storytelling, skits, and a handful of fun.

A ceilidh is something that needs to be attended to believe. If you get the offer, do yourself and a partner the good service of attending, for it can be a truly wonderful experience.

A ceilidh basically consists of a large number of men and women, a dance hall, a ceilidh band, and a large amount of alcohol.

Everyone attending dresses their finest. Men traditionally wear kilts, and women elegant dresses. Beware that if you wear a tight suit, it is likely to either tear, or heat you up so much you pass out. Wear a kilt instead. Trust me, it's better.

The ceilidh band plays a number of set songs, such as The Dashing White Sergeant and Strip the Willow (a personal favourite), that have associated dance moves that go along with them. Scottish children are often taught these in school, at Social Dancing classes, but don't worry if you're new to this, generally they are explained (and maybe demonstrated) before hand.

Most dances involve couples; many involve changing your partner many times, or dancing in a small group. It is an excellent way to meet people, as nobody generally has that much of a clue how to do the dance until they pick it up from others, leading to a general malarky, and much hilarity.

Somehow every woman looks stunning at a ceilidh. It can be quite bizarre, but very pleasing, too.

Lots of alcohol is consumed during a ceilidh, or certainly at a good one anyway. This can lead to much humorous goings on towards the end of the evening, as people try to dance when they're probably not too competent at standing, and tumble (and get flung) around the dance floor, having the time of their lives.

That's one more thing to note. Some of these dances can be quite violent in their moves, and the unwary can get thrown across the room, or into someone else. This is much expected, and nobody is likely to take offense.

In summary, at least at one point in your life, you must go to a ceilidh, for the fun, atmosphere, and dancing. It doesn't matter how old you are, I've danced along side people from 9 to 90, and everyone has a good time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.