After much (and continuing) research into personal transportation methods, I recently acquired a knock-off RipStik for a fairly decent price.

A caster board is in effect two foot platforms, or "decks", joined longitudinally, with a free-spinning caster wheel under each. To clarify, something like this:

Side (front -->)
[=======>----<=======]
   //            //    
  (0)           (0)    



Top (front -->)
 /------\     /-----\ 
[       |====[       )
 \------/     \-----/ 



The decks on a caster board twist around their interconnecting shaft to allow for steering. This is made possible by the fact that, like skateboard trucks, the casters are mounted angled toward the back of the vehicle. By twisting one or both decks, the wheel mount under it is forced to rotate in the opposite direction.

Due to the usually relatively small size of the wheels, even cracks in pavement can pose a problem to riding, although skillful weight transfer can get a rider over many. Caster boards are ridden facing perpendicular to the vehicle. Foot positioning will depend on the point of balance the rider is most comfortable with. Maintaining balance is surprisingly easy compared to what I expected.

You are supposed to be able to propel yourself up a gradient by rolling your back foot perpendicular to the direction of travel. This w/u will be updated once I figure out how to actually achieve this.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.