Cartoon Network is a drug. It arrives through a small coax cable dissolved as 0.1% in a solution of drivel. I use a television to filter the Cartoon Network from the offal and mainline it ocularly. When properly taken at precise intervals, one will feel a sense of great amusement and may see visions of Dexter, Space Ghost, and many other imaginary characters. Negative side effects may include hallucinations involving old Hanna-Barbera cartoons and loss of job and/or expulsion from school. Cartoon Network is highly addictive.

The Cartoon Network first premiered in the U.S. on October 1st, 1992. It is owned by Turner Broadcasting, which is now a Time Warner company.

Cartoon Network, or "CN" as it's often called, began as a re-run channel for classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons and Looney Tunes. It has progressed into its modern state by changing its direction - creating its own, new cartoons, gaining the rights to re-run modern cartoons from other networks, and importing anime from Japan.

CN is responsible for the creation of original cartoons such as the Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, and Dexter's Laboratory. More recent are cartoons like Samurai Jack, Teen Titans, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and the Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi Show. The style of these newer, Macromedia Flash-based cartoons will without doubt define the cartoons of this generation.

CN's success stems heavily from its signature cartoon blocks, which group together cartoons of similar style or interest into one program. Each block is given its respective title, graphical theme, and musical theme. They generally run for a couple hours each.

Some of these blocks were/are:

Over the years, CN had become increasingly focused on the assimilation and development of new cartoons, so Boomerang was re-created as its own Turner-affiliated station. It is devoted to classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Yogi Bear and the Jetsons.

Since its U.S. premiere in 1992, CN also has expanded in the form of sister channels across the globe; in Latin America, Asia/Pacific, Europe, and Japan (named respectfully CN Europe, CN Japan, etc.) It has earned its way into the big leagues - only Nickelodeon has been able to keep up with CN's success.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.