There are a wide variety of plants in the bromeliad family, however there are only two known carnivorous bromeliads. These plants reside mostly in the southern and central Americas and they use the large amounts of bacteria and fungi to help decompose various plant material and insects .

Catopsis Berteroniana
The catopsis berteroniana is epiphytic, which means is usually found on the branches or in the shade of a larger tree. They have large bulbs which collect water and fallen leaves or branches. The leaves of the bulbs have a slippery powder that reflects ultra-violet light. It is hypothesized that this confuses insects and may make them think they are flying towards the open sky. Once they land on the leaf, the powder gives way underfoot effectively funneling them to the water. The material in the bulb is decomposed by local bacteria which then get absorbed into the leaves. This may seem rather normal, however the catopsis berteroniana can survive without a canopy overhead, getting nutrients from insects only, and it has been shown to attract more insects that bulbous non-carnivourous bromeliads.

Brocchinia Reducta
Similarly to the catposis berteroniana this plant has large bulbs that are filled with water and a light powder on the leaves to trap insects. However the water in the Brocchinia Reducta's bulbs is much more acidic than rain water and helps dissolve the material fallen into the bulbs. Additionally the brocchinia reducta is terrestrial, living in the nutrient poor soil of South America.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.