I guess this is kind of an answer to "People who shouldn't have computers", in some way or another...

Now a lot of people would say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I don't agree. My gran, aged 79, decided that "I'm not going to live into an age where it seems everyone is on the internet and not try it myself." So she, with the help of me and other members of the family, bought a computer. I set it up for her and got her an ISP, and thus an email address and web access.

We showed her how to send and get email, and how to look round the web and search for things. Before long I was getting email from her, and she would be on the net searching for things to do with the BSE enquiry and the like. She even used to shop online at Tesco and get it delivered!

Admittedly she had used computers before with the job she did before she retired, and had a word processor before, but the Windows environment was completely new to her. She picked it up quickly, and I think its safe to say that she knew more what she was doing than some of the students I see in the microlabs at uni!

I think it just goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks, they just need to be wanting to learn. I guess its a determination thing, if you want to do something then you probably can :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.