What is a Cake Wreck?

A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.

Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)

— Jen Yates, author of the blog CakeWrecks

It began when blogger Jen Yates spotted a cake at a Wal-Mart bakery department that was personalized with the message:

Best wishes Suzanne. Under Neat that We will miss you

Yates photographed the offending cake and put the image on-line.

Fast forward a precious few months, and Orlando, Florida resident Yates's blog has won the 2008 Blogger's Choice Award for humor.

And humorous it is. After all, one needn't be a cake decorator, baker, or even a gourmet to appreciate cake. Everybody's been exposed to cakes at birthdays, weddings and showers, at least. These costly confections are typically decorated with flowers and rosettes made of icing or fondant. However, the demand for a difference has been felt by the cake-baking business and they've risen (in most cases) to the occasion.
 

Cake Disasters Rear Their Ugly Heads

Uncle Bob is an outdoorsman? Fabulous. Have them put the image of a deer in a forest in full fall foliage on the cake! The problem is, occasionally the colorful woodland floor, lined with leaves of orange, red and brown is rendered all wrong. One receives a cake emblazoned with a deer negotiating a forest fire.

Sue's having a baby? What better idea for the baby shower cake than topping it with a woman with a baby popping out of her stomach? Or how about the baby shower cake, inscribed in a juvenile-looking hand, which reads:

Its a Gril

As one can see, the possibilities are endless. Think of your worst nightmare, perhaps abetted by a dose of LSD, and it's been put on a cake. It begins with hysterically funny misspellings (some of which are astounding given that the cake decorator is entrusted to spell similar things on a nearly daily basis) and ranges from Thanksgiving turkeys getting goosed by candy corn to a fireman wielding an enormous, flesh-colored penis instead of a hose.
 

How To Avoid A CakeWreck

Everyone's looking for a reason to order a cake these days, it seems, posits Yates. With so many cakes being crafted, the smart cake buyer will avoid trouble by following a simple 1-2-3 process. First, it's important to give oneself time. Yates says that the recipients of a majority of her cake-mistakes all mentioned that they had no alternative but to serve the cake because they picked up the offending pastry "at the last minute."

The second thing many people forget to do is research their purveyor. Look at a bakery's website, or absent a web presence, the baker's portfolio of photographs.

Finally, one cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Nor can one make a wedding cake out of a stack of doughnuts. It pays to pay good money for cakes if artistry is what one wants, says Yates. If you buy a cake that's cheap, that's what you get; a cheap cake. True works of art made by the cake decorator's hand are not cheap.
 

Peeves and Kudos Alike

Yates often skewers the current (U.S.) trend of arranging cupcakes together under a cloyingly thick umbrella of icing so as to make a "cake" surface. These Cupcake Cakes, or "CCCs" do indeed achieve the goal of giving each diner an equal portion of cake, but that's where the convenience ends. They're as messy or more so than an ordinary cake, and the decoration atop these monstrosities of the baker's craft is often a pound or more of icing — far too much, says Yates.

Each Sunday, followers of the blog are treated to "Sunday Sweets," where Yates takes the opportunity to treat viewers to exquisitely-decorated bits of the baker's craft. Wedding cakes look as if they're covered with porcelain decoration, holiday cakes enchant with superbly-sculpted festive icons, and cupcakes are crafted (individually, mind you) into things one would be hard-pressed to eat, so gorgeously done they are.
 

Jen Yates claims that she started the blog as something for herself, and that people were just drawn to it. She credits her offbeat sense of humor, not just the funny peculiarity of her subjects. Attached to each cake photograph is a bit of commentary by Yates. Always in good taste, the author manages to frame each disaster with enough color to increase the laugh quotient. Although ever tasteful, she addresses the racy bits with aplomb, e.g., the phallus-waving fireman mentioned above. Then, there were the decorations which looked like huge red, blue and yellow phalluses (she didn't say what she saw, instead displaying a close-up view of the offending globs of sugar). A monkey modeled by a baker on a photo produced by the cake buyer resulted in a monkey with chocolate blobs for a tail, which looked like (Yates didn't say it), well, shit. I could go on and on with more, but it's better just to go to the site and cast eyes on the disastrous delicacies and Yates's tasty comments.
 

SOURCES:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com

"Icing that's not so enticing," by Vanessa Farquharson, The National Post, January 17, 2009: http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=1187338

"Party Wrecker," by Patrick Alan Coleman, The Portland Mercury, November 13, 2008: http://www.portlandmercury.com/food/party-wrecker/Content?oid=939387

"Interview With Jen From Cake Wrecks," by Alicia King, Suite101.com, December 11, 2008: http://blogs.suite101.com/article.cfm/cakewrecks_authoress_jen

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.