My friend and I had a deep and meaningful conversation

Him: Have you ever had that feeling of running around with your hands above your head screaming?
Me: Not precisely, no
Him: Self indulge in what you want

I was laughing on the outside as my subconscious was deep in thought about making banana tea. On the 2nd of June 2007 at 9:26pm, Banana Tea would be the last type of caffeine I would drink. You see, banana tea was meant to be my multi-millionaire break but then again things may not always go to plan.

So I drank my new flavoured drink, then it hit me, the contents in a mug of 3/4 boiling water, sugar, milk and half a mushed up banana hit me, it was terrible. The consistency was mushy with bits and pieces of a heated up banana leaving behind a strange sensation tending through my mouth. It was distinctive, I couldnt put it down it was that different.

It was at the toungue tingling moment I thought to myself "I drink 3-5 cups of coffee per day, why do I like my caffeine mug of awesomeness so much?" and I did a little research on the ingredients in my regular iced coffee to find out the answer. Here are the main points...

  • Coffee, milk, sugar and vanilla essence are all addictive food substances.
  • Coffee and milk are both classified as drugs which are safe to consume.
  • Coffee and vanilla stimulate adrenal glands.
  • Milk aids with sleep.
  • People can develop a dependency on sugar.
  • Manufacturers often hook consumers through caffeine and sugar dependencies
  • Cinnamon makes things smell like trees.
  • It is as simple as taking one cup of coffee a day to be addicted to caffeine... Huh?

Huh, what is this "Caffeine Addiction"?

Caffeine Addiction/Dependency is the state when discontinuing a prolonged use of caffeine results in withdrawal side effects. Minor symptoms include loss of fine motor control, headaches, dizziness and migraine. Major symptoms include nervousness, insomnia, frequent urination, disorganised thought, disorganised speech, paranoia, heart palpitations, gastro complaints, intestinal complaints, increased blood presure, increased fatty acids in blood, increased stomach acid, depression, lapses in judgement, disorientation, loss of social inhibition, hallucinations and psychosis. Side effects vary between individuals.

Caffeine addictions are sometimes mistreated as a mental illness (viceversa) such as Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder (also known as Manic Depression), Panic Disorder and Schizophrenia. The symptoms of a Caffeine Addiction and mental illnesses are closely related.

How to say farewell to Caffeine

  • Understand why you want to quit

  • Example: You may want to stop those nasty sleeping problems, anxiety, paranoia and stomach aches.
  • Go cold turkey or gradually lower your caffeine intake. Lowering your intake also lowers the effects of the withdrawal symptoms.
  • Quit with a friend for support.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Be prepared for the withdrawal symptoms.
    Example: Your head may feel like a concrete block, as if a surgeon politely tapped at the back of your skull lightly then continued for a week until it turned into a migraine. You may find yourself saying "Wow, I never knew so many shades of green could exist in one tree.. so many shades it hurts" from over stimulation of sight and some sounds may be overwhelming aswell.
  • Quit

See Also Caffeine Intoxication/Caffeinism

Thanks to Taliesin's Muse for past advice
http://www.caffeineweb.com/
http://www.wikihow.com/Quit-Caffeine
http://en.wikipedia.org/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.