A handy bandage used for closing short lacerations, basically adhesive stitches for minor wounds. They are used when the edges of a wound are smooth, rather than jagged or uneven, and do a lot to speed up the healing process and minimize scarring. They look more or less like this:

                                 
  WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW          WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW    
  W                W        W                W    
  W                 W      W                 W    
  W                  WWWWWW                  W    
  W                                          W    
  W                  WWWWWW                  W    
  W                 W      W                 W 
  W                W        W                W
  WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW          WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW                                                                       

To apply a butterfly bandage:

  1. Clean and sterilize the cut before you do anything. It's a good idea to apply some Polysporin or a similar product, too, to prevent infection.
  2. Push the edges of the laceration together, effectively closing the "mouth" of the wound.
  3. Firmly apply one of the adhesive "wings" to one side of your cut, with the narrow connecting strip of the bandage crossing directly over the cut.
  4. Holding the second "wing", bring it gently across the wound (pulling it closed) and apply to the skin. The bandage should be secure and hold the edges of the laceration together.
  5. If it's a long cut, you might need to use more than one butterfly bandage to ensure the full length of the wound is closed.
  6. Follow this up by dressing the wound as needed with nonstick pads, absorbent gauze and a roller bandage wrapped around the limb, in that order.


NOTE: This advice is really only for treating injuries in a pinch - it's always a far better idea to seek medical attention, especially for gaping wounds, which are very prone to infection. If eight hours have passed since you received the wound, bacteria levels will be so high that closing it is likely no longer the best option. A doctor will, under these circumstances, usually leave the injury open and pack it with moistened, disinfected gauze.

References:
Wilderness 911: A Step-by-Step Guide for Medical Emergencies and Improvised Care in the Backcountry, by Eric A. Weiss
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/bandage.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.