Slang for untrue. As in "That's bull" (that's untrue) "What a load of bull" and "bullshit"

In railroad lingo, a bull is a railroad cop, whose job it is to watch out for safety and prevent trespassing and theft on railroad property. Bulls may be assigned to particular yards, or they may patrol at random over a wide-ranging territory. They often co-operate with local authorities when the occasion calls for it.

Much of the bull's time is actually spent monitoring employee safety, which is a high priority for railroad companies such as BNSF and Union Pacific.

Railroad police may be easily spotted by their white, American trucks, usually Jeep Cherokees but occasionally Chevrolet Suburbans. Train-hoppers and other deviants would do well to hide in the nearest bushes upon spotting one of these vehicles.

Bull (?), n. [OE. bule, bul, bole; akin to D. bul, G. bulle, Icel. boli, Lith. bullus, Lett. bollis, Russ. vol'; prob. fr. the root of AS. bellan, E. bellow.]

1. Zool.

The male of any species of cattle (Bovidæ); hence, the male of any large quadruped, as the elephant; also, the male of the whale.

⇒ The wild bull of the Old Testament is thought to be the oryx, a large species of antelope.

2.

One who, or that which, resembles a bull in character or action. Ps. xxii. 12.

3. Astron.

(a) Taurus, the second of the twelve signs of the zodiac.

(b) A constellation of the zodiac between Aries and Gemini. It contains the Pleiades.

At last from Aries rolls the bounteous sun, And the bright Bull receives him. Thomson.

4. Stock Exchange

One who operates in expectation of a rise in the price of stocks, or in order to effect such a rise. See 4th Bear, n., 5.

Bull baiting, the practice of baiting bulls, or rendering them furious, as by setting dogs to attack them. -- John Bull, a humorous name for the English, collectively; also, an Englishman. "Good-looking young John Bull." W. D.Howells. -- To take the bull by the horns, to grapple with a difficulty instead of avoiding it.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bull, a.

Of or pertaining to a bull; resembling a bull; male; large; fierce.

Bull bat Zool., the night hawk; -- so called from the loud noise it makes while feeding on the wing, in the evening. -- Bull calf. (a) A stupid fellow. -- Bull mackerel Zool., the chub mackerel. -- Bull pump Mining, a direct single-acting pumping engine, in which the steam cylinder is placed above the pump. -- Bull snake Zool., the pine snake of the United States. -- Bull stag, a castrated bull. See Stag. -- Bull wheel, a wheel, or drum, on which a rope is wound for lifting heavy articles, as logs, the tools in well boring, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bull, v. i.

To be in heat; to manifest sexual desire as cows do.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Bull, v. t. Stock Exchange

To endeavor to raise the market price of; as, to bull railroad bonds; to bull stocks; to bull Lake Shore; to endeavor to raise prices in; as, to bull the market. See 1st Bull, n., 4.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bull, n. [OE. bulle, fr. L. bulla bubble, stud, knob, LL., a seal or stamp: cf. F. bulle. Cf. Bull a writing, Bowl a ball, Boil, v. i.]

1.

A seal. See Bulla.

2.

A letter, edict, or respect, of the pope, written in Gothic characters on rough parchment, sealed with a bulla, and dated "a die Incarnationis," i. e., "from the day of the Incarnation." See Apostolical brief, under Brief.

A fresh bull of Leo's had declared how inflexible the court of Rome was in the point of abuses. Atterbury.

3.

A grotesque blunder in language; an apparent congruity, but real incongruity, of ideas, contained in a form of expression; so called, perhaps, from the apparent incongruity between the dictatorial nature of the pope's bulls and his professions of humility.

And whereas the papist boasts himself to be a Roman Catholic, it is a mere contradiction, one of the pope's bulls, as if he should say universal particular; a Catholic schimatic. Milton.

The Golden Bull, an edict or imperial constitution made by the emperor Charles IV. (1356), containing what became the fundamental law of the German empire; -- so called from its golden seal.

Syn. -- See Blunder.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.