Common slang word for bratwurst pronounced "brought". Often found a BBQs and ballparks. Goes well with beer, as in Beer and Brats.

Additionally brat is the Polish word for "brother". This must be one
of the most delightful examples of two generally unrelated languages
producing a perfectly apt word.

The Subaru Brat was a car/truck hybrid produced in the 1980's. They looked a bit like a miniature 4-wheel drive El Camino. The Brat is powered by a 1.8 liter horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine. (Kind of like what old Porsches had). Brats featured 4-wheel drive and 4 speed manual transmissions. The Brat was pretty much in its own class. The only competition it had was from the VW Pup and a series of Chrysler hybrids that were similar in size, but lacked the 4-wheel drive and T-tops that made the Brat so popular.

Other features included T-Tops and extra seats in the bed of the truck/car.

The Brat is very silly looking, but it just happens to be one of the most fun vehicles ever made. Some people loved them so much that there is a petition to get Subaru to produce them again. (Search on Google and you should find it). Subaru still produces some pretty decent "utility vehicles", but nothing that can match the versatility of the Brat.

An excellent movie hugely popular in Russia and also available, usually subtitled, elsewhere. The title means "brother" in Russian, as it does in many Slavic languages. It could be described as a sort of Russian "Reservoir Dogs." It is, however, paced very slowly. The plot revolves around our hero Danila who travels to St. Petersburg to live with his brother, who promptly sets him up to be the patsy for a bunch of gangsters who will kill him. I will go ahead and spoil the movie for you by saying that Danila discovers the betrayal, kills the gangsters, then humiliates but ultimately forgives his asshole brother, thereby proving that he (Danila) is hardcore but has principles.

There is a barely coherent subplot wherein Danila wanders around St. Petersburg looking for the new CD by a Russian (pop) band called Nautilus. That band, coincidentally, supplied the soundtrack for the film. It's good to see that the Russians are learning about cross-marketing and product placement.

Followed by a sequel called, logically, "Brat Dva."

If you enjoy hip Eastern European gangster flicks, I'd also recommend the excellent Polish film Psy (Dogs) by Wladyslaw Pasikowski and its sequel, Psy 2. These movies feature entertaining scenes of dead drunk Polish cops being corrupt.

Cast and mundane information courtesy of IMDB. Plot recalled by memory.

Brat (?), n. [OE. bratt coarse garnment, AS. bratt cloak, fr. the Celtic; cf. W. brat clout, rag, Gael. brat cloak, apron, raf, Ir. brat cloak; properly then, a child's bib or clout; hence, a child.]

1.

A coarse garnment or cloak; also, coarse clothing, in general.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

2.

A coarse kind of apron for keeping the clothes clean; a bib.

[Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

Wright.

3.

A child; an offspring; -- formerly used in a good sense, but now usually in a contemptuous sense.

"This brat is none of mine." Shak. "A beggar's brat."

Swift.

O Israel! O household of the Lord! O Abraham's brats! O brood of blessed seed! Gascoigne.

4.

The young of an animal.

[Obs.]

L'Estrange.

 

© Webster 1913.


Brat (?), n. Mining

A thin bed of coal mixed with pyrites or carbonate of lime.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.