A food originating in the Modenese Appennines; plural form is borlenghi.
The borlengo is prepared by spreading in a large pan (12 inches in diameter, and up), previously greased with a piece of lard, a fluid mixture of milk, eggs (which some recipes omit) floor and salt. The borlengo, when cooked, must be extremely thin - in fact, almost transparent - and crisp. It is then brushed with a spread composed of pork lard, garlic and rosemary (very similar to the one used for tigelle) folded and served warm. This is the one and only way in which the borlengo (unlike tigelle) is ever eaten.

The borlengo is less frequently met in restaurants, and most of the places that prepare it do so (for unexplicable reasons) only in winter. One exception I know of is a restaurant called La ca' dal porc (literally "The pig's house" in the dialect of Modena) in the village of Bell' Italia, 13 km South of Modena, where you can also taste tigelle and gnocco fritto. The hill town of Guiglia has an annual borlengo fair during the month of May.

Finding borlenghi has become easier in recent years (a borlengo Renaissance?). This has not happened for his more rustic cousin - the ciaccio.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.