A great fire, or something that has the brilliant quality of fire, literally or figuratively. ("..going out in a blaze of glory.." "..the blazing sun..")

Or, a mark made on a tree to mark a trail, generally a straight horizontal line carved in with a knife, though more complicated patterns denoted different trails or types of trail or hazards ahead. Thus: a trailblazer was originally someone who was the first to walk and mark a trail. A blaze can also be just a general marking, ie, a thin white marking on a horse's head is a blaze.

Blaze To blaze someone, to be blazed.

To insult someone:

"He tried to come that badass shit with me, so I blazed him hard."

To be insulted:

"Hah! Steve got blazed by a twelve year old!"

Only refers to a 'good' insult, one which 'gets one over' on the recipient.

Band formed by former Iron Maiden vocalist Blaze Bayley, after he got fired from Iron Maiden in 1999.

Blaze consists of:
Blaze Bayley: vocals
Steve Wray: guitars
John Slater: guitars
Rob Naylor: bass
Jeff Singer: drums

In 2000, Blaze released their debut album, Silicon Messiah, 50 minutes of pure good oldfashioned hard rock. The album consists of 10 songs: Ghost In The Machine, Evolution, Silicon Messiah, Born As A Stranger, The Hunger, The Brave, Identity, Reach For The Horizon, The Launch and Stare At The Sun.
One of the concepts that can be found in the songs is the sentience, awareness and consciousness of computers. Another topic discussed in the songs is if people are able to deal with being away from home for a very long time when travelling in space.

Blaze (bl&amac;z), n. [OE. blase, AS. blaese, blase; akin to OHG. blass whitish, G. blass pale, MHG. blas torch, Icel. blys torch; perh. fr. the same root as E. blast. Cf. Blast, Blush, Blink.]

1.

A stream of gas or vapor emitting light and heat in the process of combustion; a bright flame.

"To heaven the blaze uprolled."

Croly.

2.

Intense, direct light accompanied with heat; as, to seek shelter from the blaze of the sun.

O dark, dark, dark, amid the blaze of noon! Milton.

3.

A bursting out, or active display of any quality; an outburst; a brilliant display.

"Fierce blaze of riot." "His blaze of wrath."

Shak.

For what is glory but the blaze of fame? Milton.

4. [Cf. D. bles; akin to E. blaze light.]

A white spot on the forehead of a horse.

5.

A spot made on trees by chipping off a piece of the bark, usually as a surveyor's mark.

Three blazes in a perpendicular line on the same tree indicating a legislative road, the single blaze a settlement or neighborhood road. Carlton.

In a blaze, on fire; burning with a flame; filled with, giving, or reflecting light; excited or exasperated. -- Like blazes, furiously; rapidly. [Low] "The horses did along like blazes tear." Poem in Essex dialect.

⇒ In low language in the U. S., blazes is frequently used of something extreme or excessive, especially of something very bad; as, blue as blazes.

Neal.

Syn. -- Blaze, Flame. A blaze and a flame are both produced by burning gas. In blaze the idea of light rapidly evolved is prominent, with or without heat; as, the blaze of the sun or of a meteor. Flame includes a stronger notion of heat; as, he perished in the flames.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blaze, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Blazed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Blazing.]

1.

To shine with flame; to glow with flame; as, the fire blazes.

2.

To send forth or reflect glowing or brilliant light; to show a blaze.

And far and wide the icy summit blazed. Wordsworth.

3.

To be resplendent.

Macaulay.

To blaze away, to discharge a firearm, or to continue firing; -- said esp. of a number of persons, as a line of soldiers. Also used (fig.) of speech or action. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Blaze, v. t.

1.

To mark (a tree) by chipping off a piece of the bark.

I found my way by the blazed trees. Hoffman.

2.

To designate by blazing; to mark out, as by blazed trees; as, to blaze a line or path.

Champollion died in 1832, having done little more than blaze out the road to be traveled by others. Nott.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blaze, v. t. [OE. blasen to blow; perh. confused with blast and blaze a flame, OE. blase. Cf. Blaze, v. i., and see Blast.]

1.

To make public far and wide; to make known; to render conspicuous.

On charitable lists he blazed his name. Pollok.

To blaze those virtues which the good would hide. Pope.

2. Her.

To blazon.

[Obs.]

Peacham.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.