An original beginner's crochet pattern for a woman's beret.

Materials

1 skein (4 oz., or so. You'll have lots of extra) 4-ply wool or acrylic
1 crochet hook, size I, or thereabouts
Scissors
Ribbon or elastic (optional)

Procedure

  1. First things first, for those newbies in the audience tonight, ball up your yarn (wrap it a few times around your fingers or a piece of cardboard, then continue wrapping, alternating directions, like a rubber band ball, until you have all of your yarn in a ball).
  2. Chain 4, and slip stitch to join in a ring.
  3. Round 1: Chain 1, and then single crochet 9 times into the ring. Slip stitch back into your first stitch, then chain up three.
  4. Round 2: Double crochet in each of your single crochets, then slip stitch and chain up three again.
  5. Round 3: *Double crochet once in one stitch, then double crochet twice in the next stitch. Repeat from *, then slip stitch to join and chain up 3.
  6. Round 4: *Double crochet once in one stitch, once more in the next stitch, then double crochet twice in the next stitch. Repeat from *, then slip stich to join and chain up 4.
  7. Rounds 5 and 6: *Triple crochet once in one stitch, then triple crochet twice in the next stitch. Repeat from *, then slip stitch to join and chain up 4.
  8. Round 7: Work one triple crochet in each stitch, then slip stitch to join and chain three.
  9. Round 8: Work one double crochet in each stitch, then slip stitch to join and chain one.
  10. Rounds 9-11: Work one single crochet in each stitch, then slip stitch to join and chain up one (no chain to end the 11th round). At the end of the 11th round, cut the yarn, tie a knot, and weave the end into the brim of the hat.

Variations

In general, the single crochet should be tight enough to cinch in the bottom of the beret, but if needed, you can weave the elastic, ribbon, or just extra yarn through the 2nd to last round, and then tie off with a bow to adjust the tightness.

For larger sizing, extra rounds of triple crochet (at the 4th round rate of increase) can be added as needed.

Final Note

This is a fairly easy pattern for someone comfortable with the basic stitches and working in the round. It took me about 2 hours to make mine, (whilst figuring out the pattern as I went along), so it will definitely work quickly for you. Almost any sort of stitch pattern can be applied (shells, vee's, a mesh...), so experiment and have fun with it!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.