One of the most irritating traps in NetHack is the beartrap, because if you step on it, it clamps onto your leg and you are unable to move off of that square until you manage to struggle free. Needless to say, this seriously jeopardizes escape attempts or planned raids on leprechaun halls (I had this happen once, it was an incredible fiasco). By far one of the most annoying things about beartraps in NetHack is that they are re-armed after you escape from them, meaning that if you aren't careful, you can get stuck in it again.

As of the latest versions of NetHack, you can use the #untrap command to disarm a beartrap. You will then be able to pick it up and carry it with you -- I usually don't because they weigh in at 200 (that's several broadswords' worth). You can drop the trap and apply it in order to arm it. I don't think I have to tell you what happens if you try to disarm a beartrap and fail.

If you aren't carrying a whole lot of stuff or have a high Strength score (or a devious plot), it is very amusing to trap monsters, especially nymphs, in beartraps. You can jump or levitate out of a beartrap, but such forcible escape from a set of iron jaws can cause enough damage to kill you at lower experience levels, so be careful.

1) v. to slip off a pedal, causing it to slam into the shin. 2)n. the toothlike scars resulting from being beartrapped.

From the Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.