The body of the horse is any shade of "brown"--anywhere from tan to reddish brown to a true brown. The mane and tail are always black. The lower legs are very often black as well, and in some horses the muzzle and ears are also black.

Return to horse coloration

Bay (?), a. [F. bai, fr. L. badius brown, chestnutcolored; -- used only of horses.]

Reddish brown; of the color of a chestnut; -- applied to the color of horses.

Bay cat Zool., a wild cat of Africa and the East Indies (Felis aurata). -- Bay lynx Zool., the common American lynx (Felis, or Lynx, rufa).

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay, n. [F. baie, fr. LL. baia. Of uncertain origin: cf. Ir. & Gael. badh or bagh bay harbor, creek; Bisc. baia, baiya, harbor, and F. bayer to gape, open the mouth.]

1. Geol.

An inlet of the sea, usually smaller than a gulf, but of the same general character.

⇒ The name is not used with much precision, and is often applied to large tracts of water, around which the land forms a curve; as, Hudson's Bay. The name is not restricted to tracts of water with a narrow entrance, but is used foe any recess or inlet between capes or headlands; as, the Bay of Biscay.

2.

A small body of water set off from the main body; as a compartment containing water for a wheel; the portion of a canal just outside of the gates of a lock, etc.

3.

A recess or indentation shaped like a bay.

4.

A principal compartment of the walls, roof, or other part of a building, or of the whole building, as marked off by the buttresses, vaulting, mullions of a window, etc.; one of the main divisions of any structure, as the part of a bridge between two piers.

5.

A compartment in a barn, for depositing hay, or grain in the stalks.

6.

A kind of mahogany obtained from Campeachy Bay.

Sick bay, in vessels of war, that part of a deck appropriated to the use of the sick.

Totten.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay, n. [F. baie a berry, the fruit of the laurel and other trees, fr. L. baca, bacca, a small round fruit, a berry, akin to Lith. bapka laurel berry.]

1.

A berry, particularly of the laurel.

[Obs.]

2.

The laurel tree (Laurus nobilis). Hence, in the plural, an honorary garland or crown bestowed as a prize for victory or excellence, anciently made or consisting of branches of the laurel.

The patriot's honors and the poet's bays. Trumbull.

3.

A tract covered with bay trees.

[Local, U. S.]

Bay leaf, the leaf of the bay tree (Laurus nobilis). It has a fragrant odor and an aromatic taste.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Bayed (); p. pr. & vb. n. Baying.] [ OE. bayen, abayen, OF. abaier, F. aboyer, to bark; of uncertain origin.]

To bark, as a dog with a deep voice does, at his game.

The hounds at nearer distance hoarsely bayed. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay (?), v. t.

To bark at; hence, to follow with barking; to bring or drive to bay; as, to bay the bear.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay (?), n. [See Bay, v. i.]

1.

Deep-toned, prolonged barking.

"The bay of curs."

Cowper.

2. [OE. bay, abay, OF. abai, F. aboi barking, pl. abois, prop. the extremity to which the stag is reduced when surrounded by the dogs, barking (aboyant); aux abois at bay.]

A state of being obliged to face an antagonist or a difficulty, when escape has become impossible.

Embolden'd by despair, he stood at bay. Dryden.

The most terrible evils are just kept at bay by incessant efforts. I. Taylor

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay, v. t. [Cf. OE. baewen to bathe, and G. bahen to foment.]

To bathe.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay, n.

A bank or dam to keep back water.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bay, v. t.

To dam, as water; -- with up or back.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.