Bait (?), n. [Icel. beita food, beit pasture, akin to AS. bat food, Sw. bete. See Bait, v. i.]

1.

Any substance, esp. food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, inclosure, or net.

2.

Anything which allures; a lure; enticement; temptation.

Fairfax.

3.

A portion of food or drink, as a refreshment taken on a journey; also, a stop for rest and refreshment.

4.

A light or hasty luncheon.

Bait bug Zool, a crustacean of the genus Hippa found burrowing in sandy beaches. See Anomura.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bait, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Baited; p. pr. & vb. n. Baiting.] [OE. baiten, beitn, to feed, harass, fr. Icel. beita, orig. to cause to bite, fr. bita. &root;87. See Bite.]

1.

To provoke and harass; esp., to harass or torment for sport; as, to bait a bear with dogs; to bait a bull.

2.

To give a portion of food and drink to, upon the road; as, to bait horses.

Holland.

3.

To furnish or cover with bait, as a trap or hook.

A crooked pin . . . bailed with a vile earthworm. W. Irving.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bait, v. i.

To stop to take a portion of food and drink for refreshment of one's self or one's beasts, on a journey.

Evil news rides post, while good news baits. Milton.

My lord's coach conveyed me to Bury, and thence baiting a Newmarket. Evelyn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bait, v. i. [F. battre de l'aile (or des ailes), to flap or flutter. See Batter, v. i.]

To flap the wings; to flutter as if to fly; or to hover, as a hawk when she stoops to her prey.

"Kites that bait and beat."

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.