This is about the greatest homemade snack food I can imagine, and takes about 15 minutes to make, start to finish (honestly, despite all the yammering below). I’m not really sure what category they fall into. They’re like small savory biscuits, but lighter and less crumbly. Cheesy cakes? Whatever they are, they’re amazingly tasty, good with beer or soda, and make a fine snack, breakfast side item, or, I admit it, entire dinner. This recipe makes enough for four polite people to snack or for two to be hogs.


--

special for you: measurements now given in normal / imperial / crazy.


1 cup / 4.5 oz / 125 g all-purpose white flour
2 tsp / 0.32 oz / 9.2 g baking powder
a pinch / pinch / pinch of salt
1/2 tsp / 0.03 oz / 1 g cumin
1/2 tsp / 0.03 oz / 1 g chili powder
1/2 tsp / 0.03 oz / 1 g garlic powder
1/4 tsp / 0.015 oz / .5 g black pepper.
(0.015, that's just stupid... it's about 20 grinds from a standard pepper grinder. Or, two healthy pinches. Or, as much as you think will taste good.)
about ten long stems fresh chives, or to taste, finely chopped.
2 cups / 4 oz / 225 g grated or shredded cheddar, jack, or any firm cheese with a strong flavor (no need to be terribly precise, but you want about twice as much cheese as flour, by volume)
1 egg
1/2 cup / 4 1/3 oz /125 ml milk



Combine all the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, spices - in a large bowl, and mix them thoroughly. Add in the cheese and chives. Beat the egg and milk together separately, then add them into the cheesy stuff. Combine well. Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375 F (200 C) for about 10 minutes, until tops are browned. Let cool on a rack for a few minutes.

--

Notes:

I say “firm cheese” above, but I don’t really know if that’s a thing. I just mean the recipe is not likely to work if you use only hard cheese (parmesan) or soft cheese (brie). You could certainly try different combinations, including small amounts of either hard or soft. I usually use a mixture of sharp cheddar and jack. I imagine pepper jack would be good.

The spices and additions will tolerate quite a bit of tweaking and experimentation. The combination above is really, really good, but if you don’t have cumin in the house, don’t sweat it. I have not tried including red pepper, chiles, rosemary, sage, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, or green onions, but I bet they would work out great.

Little ones (dropped by teaspoonfuls) turn out crunchier. Medium to big ones (1-2 tablespoonfuls) turn out chewier. Just don’t make them as big as muffins or you risk the centers not getting cooked. They spread only a little as they cook, so you can fit quite a few on one baking sheet.

You can use egg substitute, soy milk, or reconstituted powdered milk in this recipe. The flavors of the cheeses and spices will dominate anyway. But for christ’s sake don’t use soy cheese, because gross.

I use parchment paper because it rules and because I am hesitant to add any more oil to these things. They don’t end up particularly greasy, but they’re more than half cheese, so I don’t want to push it. If you have no parchment, a silpat will work, or a cookie sheet sprayed lightly with oil.

These are best eaten soon after they’re cooked, but will stay good for at least several hours and even until the next morning, if you’re not totally picky - they do get a little oilier by that point. Store in a covered thing.

You will know they are done cooking when they turn golden brown and make your house smell like pure awesome. As always, please let me know if you try these.

So jessicapierce's recent return to E2 reminded me that I had always been meaning to try these, so tonight I finally got around to making them, and they were indeed just as awesome as the title of this node promised. Here are my notes and reactions to this recipe:

  • I used whole wheat flour because I use that in everything and it's all I have. I also used green onions because honestly I've never known the difference between chives and green onions, nor do I care. Neither of these changes detracted from the awesome in any way. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly, including the suggestion to use both cheddar and jack, which worked out great.
  • I found that these biscuit thingies actually could have stood to be even more spiced, so next time I will probably add a little bit more of the spices.
  • I don't have baking parchment or a silpat or anything so I just baked these as is in glass pyrex thingy, without greasing of any kind. But I actually had no trouble at all and they slid off easily without sticking or leaving anything behind except a slight, clear oily residue. I think that these things have so much freaking cheese in them that the cheese provides its own oil to grease the pan, so to speak. So save your parchment and just throw these things on whatever, is my advice.
  • I found that rather than 10 minutes these things needed at least 15 minutes to be fully cooked, and 20 minutes is even better if you want a crispy golden brown bottom and a super soft top just like a real biscuit. But that might just be because I have a super shitty, tiny, apartment-size oven.
  • JP said that this recipe would be enough for four polite people or two people if they are hogs. I consider my wife and I pretty much food hogs by any normal standard, and we didn't eat anything else for dinner, but I gotta say these small, unassuming little things are RIDICULOUSLY filling. Using the measurements given above, one batch gave me 20 little buns about the size of a baby's fist, but I started to get full after four of them and couldn't make it past seven. So fair warning that you better be a crazy food hogs if you expect two people to get through an entire batch of these in one sitting, even being as tiny as they are.
  • I found out that the most amazing drink to drink with these is milk! Milk goes down soooo well with these things.
  • I actually doubled this recipe so that I could have some to feed to my kids, which turned out not to be an issue, so we had plenty of leftovers for snacks tomorrow and over the weekend. As you might expect with a recipe this straightforward, there were no issues with doubling all the amounts.
  • Overall this was an awesome recipe and I would definitely make these again. My wife couldn't stop gushing about how tasty they were and my kids ate two each, which is a lot for them. One thing I kept thinking might go well in these was, of all things, green peas, so maybe I will try adding those next time, perhaps instead of the green onions/chives.

  • Somewhat dark photo here.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.