Autoerotic depontication is the act of throwing oneself off a bridge whilst masturbating, either manually or with the aid of various devices.

Deponticate is derived from defenestrate, the act of throwing someone out of a window. The fenestra is Latin for window — thus, substituting pont, which is Latin for bridge1, is entirely reasonable.

Despite many people's initial conceptions, Autoerotic depontication need not be fatal, nor even particularly dangerous (unlike, say, autoerotic asphyxiation). Many bridges have water underneath them in the form of rivers or lakes, and jumping from a not too extreme height into reasonably deep water is not especially risky. A not too extreme height does not, however, leave much time for the autoerotic part of the act; one option is to preheat the oven, so to speak, before the autodepontication, and time things such that the point of release occurs mid-fall. Getting this right can take practice.

An alternative method, which can easily give the subject a window of several tens of seconds, is to use a very tall bridge (for example, over a canyon) and a bungee rope. The main drawback to this is that it requires the assistance of others, who may not understand or appreciate what is going on.

Variations involving a parachute or hang glider are theoretically possible, but rare in practice because of the difficulty of finding an appropriate bridge. There are also concerns that, with a male jumpee, anyone unlucky enough to be underneath at the wrong moment may be in for a sticky surprise.

Autoerotic depontication has been criticised by some for leading practitioners onto stronger activities, such as jumping out of planes. Proponents argue that the bridge is an essential part of the experience, and that statistics showing the contrary are fallaciously assuming that correlation implies causality.

N.B.: Autoerotic depontication should not be confused with autoerotic depontiffication, the act of removing a high ranking clergyman whilst masturbating.

1: This isn't entirely true. Latin for bridge is pons, but it becomes pont- or pontis when used with a suffix. Now write it down a hundred times. And if it's not done by sunrise I'll cut your balls off.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.