Ar*tic"u*late (#), a. [L. articulatus. See Articulata.]

1.

Expressed in articles or in separate items or particulars.

[Archaic]

Bacon.

2.

Jointed; formed with joints; consisting of segments united by joints; as, articulate animals or plants.

3.

Distinctly uttered; spoken so as to be intelligible; characterized by division into words and syllables; as, articulate speech, sounds, words.

Total changes of party and articulate opinion. Carlyle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ar*tic"u*late, n. Zool.

An animal of the subkingdom Articulata.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ar*tic"u*late (#), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Articulated (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Articulating (#)].

1.

To utter articulate sounds; to utter the elementary sounds of a language; to enunciate; to speak distinctly.

2.

To treat or make terms.

[Obs.]

Shak.

3.

To join or be connected by articulation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ar*tic"u*late, v. t.

1.

To joint; to unite by means of a joint; to put together with joints or at the joints.

2.

To draw up or write in separate articles; to particularize; to specify.

[Obs.]

3.

To form, as the elementary sounds; to utter in distinct syllables or words; to enunciate; as, to articulate letters or language.

"To articulate a word."

Ray.

4.

To express distinctly; to give utterance to.

Luther articulated himself upon a process that hand already begun in the Christian church. Bibliotheca Sacra.

To . . . articulate the dumb, deep want of the people. Carlyle.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.