Anorgasmia is a form of sexual dysfunction (specifically orgasmic dysfunction) - sometimes classified as a psychiatric disorder - where the patient cannot achieve orgasm, even with "adequate" stimulation. Although it is reasonably uncommon overall, it is far more common in females than in males.

Primary anorgasmia is when the patient has never had an orgasm before and secondary anorgasmia is when the patient has had orgasms in the past but cannot have them now.

The most common causes of anorgasmia are social and psychological but medical problems should be considered. Some anti-depressant drugs are known to cause anorgasmia.

A woman who is unable to achieve orgasm by any means is suffering from anorgasmia.(Male anograsmia is dealt with, to a certain extent, in the node retarded ejaculation) This inability may be due to any, or a combination, of several causes both physical and psychological.

If the woman has never achieved an orgasm, her problem is described as Primary Anorgasmia. Between 10 and 15% woman are thought to suffer this condition. Secondary Anorgasmia describes the condition of a woman who has climaxed in the past but cannot do so at present. Surveys generally suggest that somewhere between 33% and 50% of women experience orgasm infrequently and are dissatisfied with how often they reach orgasm. 

Physical Causes:

Some drugs, including alcohol, can inhibit sexual response including orgasm.

Some diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, diabetic neuropathy, and spinal cord injury can interfere with the nerves in the pelvis, inhibiting sexual response.

The most traumatic cause of anorgasmia is infibulation - a form of FGM where the clitoris (the organ which makes female orgasms possible) is excised, along with most of the vulval tissue.
Other physical causes of anorgasmia in women include congenital defects including malformation of the clitoris, vulva or vaginal vestibule

Hormonal imbalances, such as an abnormally low testosterone level may contribute to anorgasmia by reducing the libido to such an extent that neither emotional or physical arousal, nor orgasm are possible.

Psychological Causes:

As mentioned previously, anorgasmia may have psychological causes. If a girl has been exposed to severe 'moral' conditioning, teaching her that sex, sexuality and female bodies are dirty or a cause for shame she may well reach adulthood without the ability to experience orgasm.

Likewise, people who have been the victims of sexual attack may discover that their sexual response has been damaged as a result of this experience leaving them either temporarily or permanently unable to experience orgasm.  

Sadness in one's relationship, dissatisfaction within marriage or boredom or monotony in a woman's sex life can also lead to  a lowering of libido and to anorgasmia.  When enjoyment does not accompany sex, it can become a chore rather than a mutually satisfying, playful, and intimate experience. When anorgasmia persists, sexual desire usually declines, sexual frequency wanes, and this may create resentments and conflicts in the relationship.

Treatments:

The first step in the treatment of anorgasmia, primary or secondary, is to attempt to determine the cause.

For some people, such as those who have experienced infibulation, or those with neural breakdown due to spinal injuries will never be able to reach orgasm. Women with congenital defects may require surgery.

There is a much better chance of achieving a full sexual response in women whose anorgasmia is psychological in nature. Education on the ways the body reaches orgasm can be helpful. Some people with primary anorgasmia are given a masturbation plan to follow in their attempts to reach a sexual climax. Once the first orgasm has occurred it is far easier for the woman to achieve the next and subsequent orgasms.

anorgasmia: a hypophilic condition or syndrome, variable in etiology, of being unable to attain orgasm with normally conducive modes of stimulation; failure to attain a sexual climax or orgasm during the acceptive phase of an erotic/sexual episode. It is also known, in men, as ejaculatory delay or incompetence. In women it is confused with frigidity, a term obsolete, imprecise, unscientific, and laden with opprobrium.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

i close my eyes 
to remember
the night before

at once 
my head grows 
 d i z z y 
with images
 ...smells
...tastes
  ...your touch; 

in my dream
you join me in the shower
once again
  heat
from the water
from our bodies
from our passion
i cannot breathe as you
bend me over
thrusting
teasing
tasting
harder
deeper
faster
sweeter
loving 
ecstasy nearing
ecstasy
  nearing...
  nearing...
grab me tight
pick me up
throw me down on the bed
bite my nipples
kiss my neck
shove your wet tongue
furiously into my 
 mouth
i take your 
  sex
into me

once again we are whole
  united
hips grinding
sweat dripping
your scent arousing
 enticing
   delighting
  me
nearing ecstasy
  nearing
hearing screams
heavy breathing
body tingling
nearing...
   nearing...
               nearing...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.