Ana is a mathmatical / philosophical term which can be best described as the 4th-dimensional equivalent to up in 3 dimensional geometry. Its opposite is kata. Ana and kata are like up and down, and can collectively be described as "the directions you can't point in". It's useful to define these when trying to visualise 4-dimensional geometrical shapes such as a hypersphere. Note that here, the 4th dimension simply refers to another geometrical dimension, not time.

A short hand name for anorexia used by “anas” (anoretics) to refer to the disease, or the voice in their head that tells them not to eat.

Anorexics may write a letter to ana while in recovery or while sinking further into the disease in order to try to understand what is consuming them and why.
Some Japanese people pronounce the airline All Nippon Airways ("ANA") as a single word, ana.

Ana, written 穴 in kanji, means "hole," cf. ketsu no ana "asshole."

QED.

"Ana is a mathmatical / philosophical term which can be best described as the 4th-dimensional equivalent to up in 3 dimensional geometry. Its opposite is kata. Ana and kata are like up and down, and can collectively be described as "the directions you can't point in". It's useful to define these when trying to visualise 4-dimensional geometrical shapes such as a hypersphere. Note that here, the 4th dimension simply refers to another geometrical dimension, not time."

Both words and concepts are Bharath - India - Sanskrit/Indian language origin. Ancient Bharath - Indian grammarian supreme - Panini described 2197 phonetic elements-(dhAtu)-of the words. Some wrongly call dhAtu - elements as "roots" - Nothing grows up from roots - roots and shoots of a plant are parts of one entity - one is found sub surface usually and other above surface - hence "root" is wrong usage for concept - element

Panini's dhAtu for the word is most likely

ah to pervade {ahna means pervading)

kat. {pronounced (cut + Ta in english)}to rain; to cover or to surround

The connotation derivable is - in a pervasive area (including the 3 dimensions - not excluding)

Monier Williams Sanskrit English Dictionary compiled in the 19th century gives
the following

* an1an2 cl. 2. P. 'aniti or 'anati, ana, aniSyati, 'AnIt #RV. x, 129, 2, to breathe, respire, gasp
~> to live
~> to move, go [#cf. Gk. ? 24 ,1 Lat. animus]: Caus. Anayati: Desid. aniniSati
* ana2an'a m. breath, respiration #ŚBr. #ChUp.
* anana2anana n. breathing, living #Nir.
* anaMsha1an-aMsha or an-aMshin mfn. portionless, not entitled to a share in an inheritance
* ahna1ahna only ( like ah'a ) ifc. for 'ahan ( or 'ahar ), q.v., e. g. aty-ahna, apar^ahN'a, pUrv^ahN'a &c., qq. vv
~> ( Aya ), dat. ind. formerly #Naigh.
~> instantly, speedily #MBh. #Kum. #Ragh.
* ahnavAyya1ahnavAyy'a ( 5 ), mfn. ( √ hnu ), not to be denied or set aside #RV. viii, 45, 27
* ahnija1ahni-ja 'ahan
* ahnya2ahnya n. daily course ( of sun ) #PBr. #BṛĀrUp. ( cf. rath^ahny'a )


* kaT1kaT2 cl. 1. P. kaTati, cakATa, kaTitA, &c. to rain
~> to surround
~> to encompass, cover, screen
~> to divide #Pāṇ. #Dhātup. ix, 6 ( #√ cat. )

My conviction - "Time" - is figment of collective imagination of humankind - It has no physical reality. It is an arbitrary (collectively agreed unit of measure of human observed/observable events in the universe). However - I do not (as human) imply that this is not a convenient notion - That stick and shadow on the ground - or clock - are both arbitrary measures of not "Time" but observation of energy/matter events in space.

whew - (relaxed breath) thanks

A"na (#), adv. [Gr. (used distributively).] Med.

Of each; an equal quantity; as, wine and honey, ana (or, contracted, aa), ij., that is, of wine and honey, each, two ounces.

An apothecary with a . . . long bill of anas. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.