Ammonia is a chemical that is common on Earth. My first experience with ammonia was when I had to give some blood for a blood test. Some chemical was given to me to prevent me from fainting, in which was some ammonia. Its smell can be bitter and pungent. It is made of one atom of Nitrogen and three atoms of hydrogen, thus its chemical symbol is NH3.

Although ammonia is in smelling salts, the amount given to me was a typical "dosage". If I was given more than that "dosage", then it could have killed me. Chemically, ammonia is a gas that is very deadly due to its toxic properties. However, ammonia plays a crucial role in the making of items such as manure for agriculture, and stynthetic fibers.

Melting Point of Ammonia: ­-77.7°C
Boiling Point of Ammonia: ­33.5°C

Ammonia is also the common name given to an aqueous solution of ammonia that is used as a cleaning agent, especially for glass surfaces. The chemical name for this solution is ammonium hydroxide, NH4OH. It is a weak base, having a pH of around 10-11 in common strengths. Mixing this with nitric acid yields ammonium nitrate, which finds use as a fertilizer, solid rocket oxidizer, and explosive. Mixing bleach and ammonia does NOT make a super cleaner, however.

  1. The common name for NH3, a strongly basic, irritating, colorless gas which is lighter than air and readily soluble in water. It is formed in nature as a by-product of protein metabolism in animals. Industrially, it is used in explosives, fertilizer, refrigerants, household cleaning solutions, etc.

  2. Ammonium hydroxide (NH4+), a solution of ammonia gas in water.

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Grunge rock band consisting of Dave Johnstone (vocal, guitar),Simon Hensworth (bass guitar), Alan Balmont (drums) and (later) Phil Natt (guitar,keyboards). Formed in Perth, Western Australia around 1992 as Fuzzwirl, before changing their name and getting signed up by Sony. Was voted by Rolling Stone magazine as best new act for 1996.

Their albums included In A Box (1994), Sleepwalking (1995), Mint 400 (1995) and Eleventh Avenue (1998)

Ammonia broke up in 1999.

Am*mo"ni*a (#), n. [From sal ammoniac, which was first obtaining near the temple of Jupiter Ammon, by burning camel's dung. See Ammoniac.] Chem.

A gaseous compound of hydrogen and nitrogen, NH3, with a pungent smell and taste: -- often called volatile alkali, and spirits of hartshorn.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.