Alternative presses are typically small, non-commercial publishers which publish books with a particular world-view. Common world-views propounded by alternative presses include native, feminist, anarchist, socialist, Marxist, trade union, anti-capitalist, Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Hindu or academic viewpoints.

Many alternative presses are run by advocates of a particular cause who believe that by publishing the books they do and by getting greater appreciation for certain points of view they can achieve long-term goals.

A common perception is that many alternative presses are essentially propaganda, and while many be propaganda, there is a valid point to be made that all printing is propaganda, and that by presenting non-mainstream propaganda libraries and bookshops can give their readers and customers better range of tools to understand this thing called life.

The Alternative Press Expo, the Social Responsibilities Round Table of the American Library Association and the Anarchist Librarians Web all actively promote Alternative presses.

Music magazine that focuses on new metal bands, some rappers, alternative rock, and related bands. AP has been in publication since December, 1987 and isn't as Top 40 oriented as other music magazines like Rolling Stone, Spin, etc. This isn't to say the artists AP covers aren't popular, they're just not people like Britney Spears or The Backstreet Boys. I think the writing quality is higher than that of some of the more well known music mags but not the best I've seen. Contrary to what the magazine's name might imply, AP isn't an underground publication.

Since there doesn't seem to really be an "alternative" music genre anymore, here's a short list of some of the artists they've had cover stories on:

There are more but I figured this would give a good idea of what kinds of music they have articles and interviews concerning.

Some information here found at Alternative Press' website: altpress.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.