Alpha Chi Sigma is a National Professional Co-ed Chemistry Fraternity. Open to undergraduates, faculty, graduate students, and members of the chemical industry, it joins its members with a common interest- the chemical sciences. Founded December 11, 1902 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, it has since expanded, currently having 50 active collegiate chapters.

Much of the lore and tradition involved in Alpha Chi Sigma has roots in alchemy. Many alchemical symbols, such as those for the Elixir of Life, Philosopher's Stone, the Planetary metals, and others have extensive meaning within the fraternity, and are commonly seen throughout the history explored. Pledging is a semester-long commitment, and membership is for life.

The Objects of the Fraternity are:

  1. To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship.
  2. To strive for the advancement of chemistry both as a science and as a profession.
  3. To aid its members by every honorable means in the attainment of their ambitions as chemists throughout their mortal lives.

Famous members include (the qualification for being "famous" being having won a Nobel Prize):

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.