The all-way stop is the generalization of the four-way stop. There can be all-way stops at intersections of 3 road segments, or at intersections of 5 or more (though there are very few such intersections).

There is a stop sign at every entrance to the intersection, and usually a stop line painted on the road as well. In most cases, in the U.S.A., there is a smaller rectangular sign below the octagonal stop sign with the text "FOUR WAY STOP" or "ALL WAY STOP". Quite often there are pedestrian crossings at all-way stops, simply because it is a place where all cars should stop, under all circumstances, so it's a relatively safe place for pedestrians to cross the road.

A vehicle approaching an all-way stop must slow and stop at the stop line. While slowing down, the operator of the vehicle should be scanning the other road segments connected to the intersection. If there is another vehicle between the driver (or cyclist) and the intersection, he/she must not pass that vehicle, must wait for it to pass through the intersection, and must stop at the stop line regardless. It is not permitted for one vehicle to immediately follow another through the intersection.

Once at the stop line, the operator must assess the situation. If a vehicle is already in the intersection, the operator must wait for that vehicle to exit. If another vehicle is waiting to enter the intersection at the same time, the vehicle on the left must yield in countries where cars drive on the right-hand side of the road, or the vehicle on the right must yield in countries where cars drive on the left-hand side of the road.

There is a simple way to remember which car must yield in the case of the all-way stop. Imagine a 4-way stop, where each road segment is 2 lanes, one lane in each direction. Imagine driving on the right-hand side of the road. If you approach an intersection, and there's a car stopped in the road to the right, imagine what would happen if you proceed: you would pass directly in front of that car's front bumper. If the driver of that car were careless or unobservant, and started moving, or if that car got crashed into from behind, your car would very probably be hit on the side. Now imagine if there were a car stopped on the road to the left: there is one lane-width between your path of travel and the stop line that car is at. If the car took off suddenly, or were hit from behind, it would have further to travel before hitting your car, more time for you or the other driver to react, more chance of avoiding a collision or accident. Therefore, it is simply safer for all involved if the car on the right were to proceed while the car on the left waits.

Of course, there is a bit more to it than that. If driving on the right side of the road, and making a right turn, the only chance of a collision is if another driver at the intersection plans to exit on the same road. So it is safe to make a right turn at an all-way stop even if there are other cars already in the intersection, as long as none of the other cars are headed for the same exit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.