This is a person that speaks up for their preferred cause/thing/place/etc. at every good opportunity. In the context of Linux Advocacy, the person speaks up for and promotes the use of Linux in every suitable situation that it could be applied- but does all they can to NOT put down or disparage the other options, they only use cold, hard facts.

Ad"vo*cate (#), n. [OE. avocat, avocet, OF. avocat, fr. L. advocatus, one summoned or called to another; properly the p. p. of advocare to call to, call to one's aid; ad + vocare to call. See Advowee, Avowee, Vocal.]

1.

One who pleads the cause of another. Specifically: One who pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court; a counselor.

⇒ In the English and American Law, advocate is the same as "counsel," "counselor," or "barrister." In the civil and ecclesiastical courts, the term signifies the same as "counsel" at the common law.

2.

One who defends, vindicates, or espouses any cause by argument; a pleader; as, an advocate of free trade, an advocate of truth.

3.

Christ, considered as an intercessor.

We have an Advocate with the Father. 1 John ii. 1.

Faculty of advocates Scot., the Scottish bar in Edinburgh. -- Lord advocate Scot., the public prosecutor of crimes, and principal crown lawyer. -- Judge advocate. See under Judge.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ad"vo*cate (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Advocated (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Advocating (#).] [See Advocate, n., Advoke, Avow.]

To plead in favor of; to defend by argument, before a tribunal or the public; to support, vindicate, or recommend publicly.

To advocate the cause of thy client. Bp. Sanderson (1624).

This is the only thing distinct and sensible, that has been advocated. Burke.

Eminent orators were engaged to advocate his cause. Mitford.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ad"vo*cate, v. i.

To act as advocate.

[Obs.]

Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.