Also called acrylic fiber, any of a group of SYNTHETIC TEXTILE FIBERS, such as Arilan and Orlon, that are polymers primarily composed of the acrylonitrile monomer CH2&dbond;CHCN. 2 Also called acrylic resin, any of a group of thermoplastic resins&that are polymers produced from esters of acrylic acid (C3H4O2) or methacrylic acid (C3H6O2). They are used in paints (e.g., Lucite) and plastics (e.g., Plexiglas).

Designating or of a series of oliefin acids with the general formula CnH2n-2O2.

In terms of mediums it is a paint. About sixty years ago THEY figured out how to suspend pigments in a very thin refined plastic. There was a huge rift that formed between the artists who used the Old School oil paint and those who used the newfangled acrylic.

There are some serious benefits to acrylic, the first being it's drying time. It's quick and water soluable, though I would not suggest painting in your Sunday Best. The stuff does stain, it carries many of the same ingredients as the old toxic oils. There's another point. Acrylics are a lot less hazardous to your health, though I do suggest washing the cadmiums off your skin as soon as possible. There are no fumes from acrylic, and their viscosity is very easy to manipulate.

But the colors are not nearly as true. It depends on the company greatly whether or not your acrylics will turn to crap. There is a dullness to the sheen of the finished product if types of gel medium have not been employed. And the stuff is generally dirt cheap.

A*cryl"ic (#), a. Chem.

Of or containing acryl, the hypothetical radical of which acrolein is the hydride; as, acrylic acid.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.