There's a house on a hill with a single dirt road leading down into the valley. The road connects to the interstate, actually, but you'd never in a million years see the thing unless you knew what you were looking for - a small blank wooden sign next to a particular mile marker.

Turn off the interstate and drive up the hill, careful-like. This tiny house, not more than a cabin, really, three rooms and a chimney with a lean-to at the side, appears out of nowhere. Even if you found the road and had the necessary traction, you'd probably miss the thing; it blended well, was more of a tree than anything artificial; it was grown.

There's a porch (not much more than an extra-wide front step, really) with a couple of crates, some storm windows that never got around to getting put up come winter, a small, half-hearted attempt at a stockpile of firewood and a dull axe. A birdcage stuffed with newspaper clippings. A rusted straight razor, stuck open, in a chipped coffee mug with a broken handle. A wheelbarrow piled high with old clothes and paving stones, and a coffee can filled with rainwater and cigarette butts. The house itself is empty and quiet.

You'd never guess that something is happening.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.