Frank Zappa album released in 1976 by Rykodisc. Track list includes:

1. Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
2. Black Napkins
3. The Torture Never Stops 4. Ms. Pinky
5. Find Her Finger
6. Friendly Little Finger
7. Wonderful Wino
8. Zoot Allures
9. Disco Boy

This album is Frank Zappa's version of a basic rock & roll record; uncomplicated while compelling. Sharp satirical tracks like "Disco Boy" and "Wind Up Workin' in a Gas Station" come alongside instrumentals like "Black Napkins," "Friendly Little Finger" and the title track. This disc is also the home of "The Torture Never Stops," a doomsaying blues unlike anything else in the Zappa catalogue.

Additional notes and quotes on the Zoot Allures album:

Vladimir Sovetov (sova@bank.kemerovo.su) writes:

Interesting thing to note about the album title. In France they say Zut Alors when mean Goddamn.

Noriyuki Tsunofuri (QGB00455@niftyserve.or.jp) writes:

The characters on the back cover can be pronounciated fu ran ku za ppa. The hanko graphic on the front cover can be za ppa. Those are kanji characters.
There are three character systems in Japanese language. Two kanas, Hira-kana and Kata-kana, and Kanji. Kanas are Japanese invention and has no meaning in each character. You know A itself doesn't mean anything. It makes sense when it used with other characters. Combination. That's the same with kanas. But kanji is not the case. Kanji was imported from China, very long ago (although usage and pronounciation is very different). And it does have meaning. (...)
For example, the characters on the front cover of Zoot Allures mean miscellaneous leaves. Some say it's inappropriate word which stands for ZAPPA because it reminds of drugs. We all know FZ was strictly against any kind of drugs. The back cover ones mean no-frantic-pain miscellaneous school. (this school is not the school of medicine or law. The impressionist school, the Stoic school. That school.)
That's better, I think. But basically, these character was chosen in accordance with pronouciation. So it's grammatically incorrect and as a sentence, it means nothing.

Terry Bozzio (drums) writes:

This was my second record with Frank. (...) I was 25 years old. I took a few weeks off and got a call from Frank, "I had to let Roy, Andre & Napoleon go, so it's just you and me again. Why don't you come down to the Record Plant and play on some stuff I've been working on."
I walked into the Record Plant.
Frank's (my) huge drumset was all set up and mic'd. He had recorded a bunch of tunes we had been playing with a "Rhythm Ace" drum machine - he had played bass, guitar and keyboards - I had never played with a beat box before, and playing drums to an already recorded track was a totally new concept to me. (never mind the fact that this was the second track I had ever recorded in a studio period!)
I found I could play comfortably following the music & beat box and Frank was impressed and complimentary as we recorded the likes of Disco Boy, Torture Never Stops, Gas Station and Pinky.
You can imagine how it felt to get over this hurdle and meet the challange with Frank's approval and blessing, I was bursting with pride!
There were also some live tracks like Black Napkins (recorded in Japan - if you listen closely you can hear the little Japanese girls yelling "Telly! Telly!!" on the record. He always laughed at that!). Frank did not normaly like to record in the studio because he felt you could not get the musicians to play with the same energy and focus as in front of a live audience. He was right, but I'm glad he liked what I did enough to release it.

The title track Zoot Allures is also available on Does Humor Belong In Music? (album and video), You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 3 and The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

FRANK ZAPPA - Zoot Allures (in tablature)

This tune first appeared on the Zoot Allures album, but the following transcription is based on the older live versions. Try using a guitarsound which leans slightly towards feedback with a light chorus. For the right phrasing of the melody I advise listening to You can't do that on stage anymore vol.13. This is the kind of music that made me want to play the guitar, enjoy it.

             .                           .               .  
-------------6-6-!-------------7-5-------5-!-------------6-6-!-------------4-------!
-------------7-7-!-------------8-6-------6-!-------------7-7-!--------4-7-6-7-6-4--!
---6-8-9-8-6-6-6-!---6-8-9-8-6-7-5-------5-!---6-8-9-8-6-6-6-!---3-4-6-----------6-!
--6----------6-6-!--6----------7-5-5h7p5-5-!--6----------6-6-!--6------------------!
-0-----------6-6-!-0-----------7-5-------5-!-0-----------6-6-!-6-------------------!
-----------------!-------------------------!-----------------!---------------------!
      .        .  .                  .  .              
------------!!-4--7--11--!-7--4----!-4--7--11--!-7--4------!----------!------------!
-6----4-4---!!-5--9--12--!-7--6----!-5--9--12--!-7--6------!-4--------!-----6------!
-6----4-4---!!-4--9--11--!-9--6----!-4--9--11--!-9--6------!-4--------!-----6------!
-6----4-4---!!-4--7--13--!-9--6----!-4--7--13--!-9--6------!-4--------!---6-6------!
-5----2-2---!!-4--7--11--!-7--4----!-4--7--11--!-7--4------!-2--------!--4--4------!
------------!!-----------!---------!-----------!--------x\-!-------x\-!-2-------x\-!
       *                 .                .      .                                      
-------------!-------------!!-------------6-6--!-7--7-----!
-----7-------!-----9-----9-!!-------------7-7--!-8--8-----!
-----7-------!-----9-----9-!!---6-8-9-8-6-6-6--!-7--7-----!
---7-7-------!---9-9-----9-!!--6----------6-6--!-7--7-----!
--5--5-------!--7--7-----7-!!-0-----------6-6--!-7--7-----!
-3--------x\-!-5-----------!!------------------!-------x\-!

Notes:

  • The opening notes with the open A-string should be left to ring.
  • The area between the double lines is repeated.
  • The dots above certain chords means play staccato.
  • ' x\ ' means slide down the neck.
Frank also does many different filler riffs during various sections. A common one that he does during the bit marked with ' * ' is like this:

------------------------------!
-8-8-8-7-5-5-5h7-5h7-8p7-5-7--!
-7-7-7-7-5-5-5h7-5h7-7---5-7--!
-7-7-7-7-5-5-5h7-5h7-7---5-7--!
-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---5-------5-5--!
------------------------------!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.