In keeping with the food theme, here's a favorite for camping, works at home too. Break a few eggs in a ziplock bag, add salt, pepper, a little milk, some grated cheese, maybe some veggies. Close bag, squish it all very thoroughly. Drop in pot of boiling water. Poke it around a bit to keep it away from the sides of the pot, it helps to burp the air out as much as possible. Boil 10 minutes. Eat. No pan to wash. Low fat if you care.

When my daughter was in primary school we used to have a lot of sleepovers. Breakfast in the morning was pandemonium. This became our simple solution to feeding the hordes. It is also useful to prepare the night before on a school night, so your child can have a nice warm, no hassle breakfast in the morning.

Ziploc Omelet Ingredients

  • 2 eggs, per omelet

  • Several quart sized ziplock freezer bags
  • Choose from the following filling ingredients:

  • Ham, diced

  • Fresh herbs, chopped

  • Cheese, shredded

  • Red or green peppers,diced

  • *Cream cheese, or other soft spreadable cheese

  • Tear drop tomatoes, diced

  • Scallions, chopped

  • Bacon, fried and broken up into small pieces.

  • Mushrooms

  • Olives

  • Diced veggies
  • Crack the eggs, 2 at a time, and pour into the zip lock bags.

    Shake the bag vigorously to combine the whites and the yolks.

    Ask each sleepover guest to select the ingredients and place them into their own bags. Shake again, to combine all ingredients

    Press all the air out of the bags, and zip closed. Place the bags into a large pot of boiling water for 13-15 minutes.

    Do not try to cook more than 6 omelet bags per pot. Use two separate pots for more omelets.

    Carefully remove the bags from the water with tongs, and roll the omelet out onto a warmed plate. Add salt and pepper, ketchup, etc. to taste.

    You can prepare the ingredients in the bags the night before and refrigerate.

    When the children get up the next morning, just pop the bags into the boiling water.

    Also an easy way to make an omelet on a camping trip. No omelet pans to scrub.

    If you are preparing them in advance ask each person to write their initials on the bags with indelible marker.

    Do not add salt to the mixture it will make a tough omelet.

    *It is best to hold out the cream cheese, mascarpone, boursin, etc. and place it on the omelet after it is cooked then fold over to melt the cheese.





    Here is a handy item to bookmark or print out for future use:
    Conversion Table for Cooking Around the World

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.