Finnish rock band formed in 1988 in Savonlinna by original lineup Jarkko Martikainen, Valtteri Tynkkynen and Jussi Hyyrynen. The name YUP originally meant Young Urban P* (the P always having a new meaning, such as Perverts and Protestants). Started off playing slightly quirky hardcore with mostly English lyrics. The 1988-1990 phase saw the birth of 3 limited edition recordings - Who Dares Farts, Whlap-Zap Ninja and Hippos From Hell. These records have gained a Grail-like status among some Finnish record collectors.

In 1990 the band decided to switch entirely into Finnish lyrics. Since then the name YUP has meant Yhdistyneet Urbaanit Puoskarit (United Urban Quacks). With the release of their first Finnish recording, Turpasauna, the band's musical style had found form in a mix of several genres, primarily progressive rock and hardcore.

Since then (much to the disappointment of some of the older fans) the band has gradually moved away from the multi-parted and hardcore nature of the early recordings, forming a more accessible style while still maintaining a certain quirkiness, particularly in their lyrics. Their first no. 1 album was Normaalien maihinnousu, released in 1999.

For those of you who speak Finnish, their official website is located at http://www.yup.ms

Lineup:

Discography:

Albums

EP:s

Singles

Update 4.3.2003: Added Leppymättömät to the discography

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.