A popup window that one sees often after installing software or changing settings on a Microsoft Windows system. The inference is that in order to assimilate the change, the system needs to be reconfigured at the kernel level, which requires a reboot.

As somewhat of a Unix zealot I fail to see why installing a software package or changing the TCP/IP settings should neccesitate the reboot of the system.

It is possible to install software onto a Solaris system using pkgadd without ever having to reboot the machine. Indeed if every utility I installed onto a production system required a scheduled outage, I'd be hung, drawn and quartered.

There are a variety of reasons why this happens. None of them good. Typically, it is not the result of "change at the kernel level" - hardly anything does that, unfortunately; rather, it is most often the result of the rather simple read and write locking scheme implemented in 32-bit Windows, and an unfortunate lack of organization in the way said operating system manages libraries, and other dependent changes of a software package.

You see, when you install an application, it comes packaged with a few DLL's - these are often the same few for almost every application, but slightly different versions. The application's installer, out of some kind of nihilistic glee, likes to simply spray modifications all over your system, sometimes without caring too much what was there to begin with. This is a little like inviting a friend over only to have them get drunk and leave their shit all over your house. Of course, things that got changed overlap with things that were already there, or things that were already set up - and are depended on by half the other programs on the system. Hence, writing to them may have no effect, or fail - but the installer has a fiendish backup plan. It will restart you computer, but not before goosing your startup scripts to copy in its new files, and make any other changes, that it had been locked out of before, during the restart process.

"But why does every single program I try to install want to replace \winnt\system32\msvcrt40.dll with its own copy? Might that not create a dangerous unversioned dependency problem?" you ask... And the answer is... YES! That's exactly right, it will. The upside, as they must have spun it in Redmond, is that the OS has so many bigger problems, no one's likely to make a big stink about that one. Nonetheless, after a few months, your \Windows directory starts to look like the crackhouse master bedroom.

It goes beyond any one library, of course. There are plenty of things that the installer might be trying to modify that it must defer until that magic moment during restart when nothing has really started yet, and hence nothing can be locked - data or ini files, perhaps registry entries, and so forth.

As usual, it gets worse. Changes to system settings open up a whole new domain of problems. Unix system designers generally had to make provisions for almost any kind of maintenance to be done on the system without bringing it down - since a shutdown would likely affect many people. Ah, the days of big iron. Windows programmers had no such constraints, and chose to save themselves some trouble, and not have to think about how to get their system to handle many dynamic changes of state. It's not a lot of work in the scheme of things - mainly a matter of good design - but Microsoft didn't have any imperative to worry about that. Laissez-Faire strikes again.

I'll let you all into a little secret ... on many occasions when you see this message on a Windows box, you don't actually have to reboot your machine. If it appears after you install a new piece of software, in approximately 99% of cases, you can just cancel it and go ahead and use the software regardless. (Generally, the only stuff that needs a reboot is things that have bizarro TSRs such as anti-virus packages). When changing hardware settings, you generally do have to reboot though, such are the ways of DOS. In any case, it's slightly less painful if you decline the offer to reboot, and then do a soft restart (hold down shift while restarting).

The really funny thing is that Win2K seems to involve even more rebooting. That is, if it sees fit to support your hardware at all. Comparisons to between 'doze and Solaris could get interesting ... you could argue that most people will put up with more rebooting if it means not having to deal with the potential sanity well that is maintaining and running Solaris.

Remember : everyone has to reboot sometimes.

A little insider stuff...

On WIN9x systems, installers create the file WININIT.INI which lies in the windows folder. This INI file has sections which specify files to delete or rename.

When Windows boots up, it checks if the WININIT.INI file exists, and if so, it launches WININIT.EXE which parses the file and deletes or renames files which could not be deleted or renamed during the installation process.

WININIT.EXE is the one which prints the message about updating files during bootup.

All this applies only to Windows 95/98 however.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.