Joe Cocker could have sung this song about the romantic ballad itself. It's not the words actually that make the song beautiful. It's Cocker's emotional, expressive voice that give the words exactly the mood the song needs, reworking it from his own tormented soul. The softly chanted last two words make it just perfect.

In the years that Cocker performed the song (1971 - 1974), there were numerous reports of alcohol and drug abuse. His episodes of public drunkenness were as well known as his talents. You are so beautiful is the only brilliant song produced in this period by an artist who proved to be a genius in the rest of the sixties and seventies.

Cocker included the song on the 1974 album I Can Stand A Little Rain. The words and music are written by Billy Preston. The song broke the Top Ten and actually outsold all of his earlier singles. Due to copyrights I only cite the chorus here:

You are so beautiful
to me
You are so beautiful
to me

Joe Cocker performed the song live with Luciano Pavarotti and Alex Britti. Other artists performing the song include Louis Armstrong, Kenny Rogers and Boyz II Men.

Stealth Munchkin says: according to those who were there at the time, this was actually co-written by Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys, uncredited.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.